6 Ways To Brand Writing Fun Inwards The Classroom


Do you lot direct maintain reluctant writers? You know- those students that stare into infinite the entire fourth dimension that they are supposed to hold upwardly writing? Do you lot direct maintain bored writers- students who spotter the clock during wring? How near adding some fun to your writer's workshop! I direct maintain some unproblematic ideas for you!

1. Let Students Choose Their Own Writing Topic

How many times has a pupil come upwardly bounding upwardly to you lot to say you lot near something that happened to them? They can't await to say us their stories! They are excited. Use this excitement to growth the fun inward writing, past times allowing them to pick out the topic of their stories. I learn writing inward units. Therefore, I do say my students that they bespeak to write a personal narrative during that detail unit of measurement as well as an informational study during that unit. However, I permit them write near whatever topic that excites them inside that genre. 

2. Provide Fun Writing Materials

Do you lot direct maintain a favorite pen? That's a lightheaded question! We are teachers! Obviously nosotros direct maintain favorite pens! I personally dear Papermate Flair pens. I abhor writing alongside whatever other utensil. They but brand me happy. I desire my students to larn excited near their writing materials every bit well. Why do they direct maintain to write alongside a tedious xanthous pencil? Who made that rule? During writing, I permit my kids write alongside a diversity of scented pencils as well as fun pens. I also supply colorful paper

3. Allow Students to Choose Where They Write

When I starting fourth dimension started teaching, I e'er had my students write at their desks. I take in that doing as well as therefore would number inward amend handwriting. Maybe it did. But I mean value it also resulted inward bored students who produced less writing as well as writing that was uninspired. I started thinking, "Why should handwriting hold upwardly a large bargain when drafting?" So students were allowed to pick out a house to write. Some students took a clipboard as well as institute a topographic point on the floor. Some students stayed inward their ain desk, piece others
 preferred to write at a table. We had to exercise the procedures, but overall it was a unproblematic alter that led to much happier writers! My solely dominion is that they write terminal drafts at a desk or table.

4. Take Writing Outside

Being cooped upwardly does zippo for my students' inventiveness or their mood! Sometimes they but bespeak a alter of scenery. When the conditions is nice, nosotros direct deal of clipboards as well as accept our writing outside. We are lucky plenty to direct maintain a schoolhouse garden as well as it is a wonderful house to relax as well as write. Before you lot do this, I do recommend checking the schoolhouse reveal schedule. It's difficult to write when an entire aeroplane even out is running roughly as well as yelling! Being exterior makes me smile! 

5. Play Music While Students Write

Music makes you lot experience a for sure way. Upbeat music makes you lot desire to motion as well as dance. Soothing music relaxes you. Music tin hold upwardly a sign to students. I play classical music piece my students write. When the music is on, they know that they must hold upwardly writing. As presently every bit I plow it off, they know that it is fourth dimension to share. The music also creates a relaxed atmosphere that is perfect for thinking, planning as well as writing! My students mean value music is fun!

6. Change Up the Way Students Share Writing

Writing is no fun if no i ever sees or hears your stories. Writers write to hold upwardly heard! For this reason, I brand for sure to direct maintain writers portion something everyday. This tin hold upwardly every bit unproblematic every bit reading a judgement or paragraph to their partner or to a greater extent than involved similar sharing alongside the entire class. (The bonus is that I am able to larn some of those speaking as well as listening grades taken attention of too!) At the destination of a unit, students larn to position out their work. I similar to vary the agency that nosotros position out to proceed it fun as well as fresh for students. Some publishing ideas include:
  • writing stories on fun papers as well as illustrating them
  • typing stories on computers or other devices
  • making a shape binder of stories as well as putting it inward the shape library
  • reading stories to buddies from some other aeroplane level
  • making videos of our stories
  • Throw an author celebration where students portion their story piece enjoying nutrient as well as the companionship of their classmates. (I direct maintain a spider web log post coming presently alongside ideas for author celebrations!)

Free Writing Course & Resources

 those students that stare into infinite the entire fourth dimension that they are supposed to hold upwardly writing six Ways to Make Writing Fun inward the Classroom

Would you lot similar fifty-fifty to a greater extent than information near making the most of your writing time? I direct maintain position together a FREE writing workshop electronic mail course. The course of pedagogy includes a calendar week of costless lesson plans, anchor charts as well as rubrics. 

Click HERE to read to a greater extent than as well as larn signed upwardly for free!


Writing Unit

I absolutely dear this writing unit! It has absolutely everything that a instructor volition bespeak to teach, exercise as well as assess writing for 8 weeks. It fifty-fifty includes mentor text as well as therefore that you lot do non bespeak to exit as well as purchase a bunch of books! There are a dozen anchor charts as well as lots of pupil printables inward the unit. They larn perfectly alongside the xl days of lesson plans that I wrote for you! The lessons are super engaging for students as well as unproblematic to prep for teachers!


Click HERE to meet more!