Teaching Students To Solve Give-And-Take Problems



I LOVED pedagogy 3rd degree math! If I could convey constitute a agency to learn goose egg but 3rd degree math- I would convey been inwards heaven. 

I did non similar math equally a child. I merely couldn't empathise WHY! I was THAT kid asking, "When volition I purpose this?" "Why does that work?" My math teachers hated me. And because of that experience, I strive to laissez passer on my 3rd graders a amend sense amongst math. In my classroom, nosotros e'er verbalise most why they demand to know it in addition to why it works. 

Third degree math is non slowly though! They pass Kindergarten, 1st degree in addition to 2nd degree working on improver in addition to subtraction. Then inwards 3rd grade, nosotros are expected to learn multiplication in addition to sectionalization to mastery. We double the pose out of operations that students convey to hold out competent inwards in addition to volition run into inwards give-and-take problems! 

Using telephone commutation words inwards give-and-take problems may convey been a suitable strategy inwards previous years. However, students rapidly realize that many of the improver telephone commutation words tin besides hold out used inwards a multiplication problems. Many sectionalization telephone commutation words facial expression similar to multiplication telephone commutation words. It isn't easy! They NEED MORE THAN KEY WORDS! Students demand to hold out taught a employment solving strategy that volition travel every time. 

In my classroom, students are required to purpose a 4 stride procedure anytime that they run into a give-and-take problem. And they run into them ALL the time!

You tin read most my routine inwards the post below or take away heed to the podcast.


Read the problem.

It mightiness appear obvious that nosotros demand to start the employment solving procedure past times reading the problem, but the reality is that students desire to start doing something amongst the numbers earlier they complete reading. 

I require my students to set downwardly their pencil or dry out erase marker in addition to read the entire problem. They focus to a greater extent than on the words when they don't convey a writing utensil.

I enquire them to visualize what the employment is stating rather than trying to shape a conception to solve. 

I convey constitute that they are much to a greater extent than successful when they genuinely intend most what they know BEFORE they start drawing in addition to solving.

Reread spell drawing a math model.

After my students convey read through the entire employment once, they volition commence rereading the problem.

This time, I enquire that they merely read one judgement or phrase at a time.

They should depict a math model equally they read. The models tend to hold out much to a greater extent than accurate if students are solely reading i slice of the employment at a time. However, sometimes they volition acquire to the goal of the employment in addition to discovery that their model is non going to assist them solve. That's okay! Use the powerfulness of the eraser!

I telephone phone them models rather than drawings because I desire my students to empathise that math models are non the same equally a pic y'all mightiness depict inwards fine art class. No i needs to hold out an creative mortal inwards math class!

Models that my students mightiness depict (because I convey modeled them):
Equal Group Pictures
Tape Diagrams (also known equally Bar Modeling)
Number Bonds
Arrays
Number Lines

Write an equation in addition to solve.

Most students desire to saltation to writing an equation or pose out sentence, but inwards my class, it can't hold out done until the model is drawn.

Once the model is drawn students tin amend empathise what the unknown is in addition to write a pose out judgement that volition assist them to accurately solve the give-and-take problem. I e'er remind my students that they demand to examine the model earlier writing the equation.

After they solve the equation they demand to enquire if it is reasonable in addition to and then pose it dorsum into their model to cheque for accuracy.

Write the reply inwards a consummate sentence.

I e'er require my students to write every give-and-take employment reply inwards a consummate sentence. I learn my students to become dorsum to the query in addition to purpose business office of the query inwards their answer. This increases the probability that students volition genuinely reply the query that was asked. 

I besides require proper capitalization in addition to punctuation because I believe that integrating writing into math volition assist students to hold out to a greater extent than successful inwards both subjects. 


Do y'all demand to a greater extent than suggestions for pedagogy your students to write during math? Check out THIS post for my v stride process!

Free Posters & Notebook Activity

Would y'all similar a complimentary re-create of my give-and-take employment strategy posters? How most a pupil notebook activity to assist your students to larn the novel strategy? Just drib your mention in addition to personal e-mail address inwards the boxes below in addition to I volition transportation them to y'all correct away!






I promise that this routine helps your students to hold out to a greater extent than successful amongst give-and-take problems!