Teaching Amongst Desmos

I discovered Desmos final yr through @ColleenYoung's fantastic weblog Mathematics, Learning as well as Web 2.0. It speedily became my favourite slice of 'teachnology'. Before Desmos I occasionally used Omnigraph or Autograph, but I straightaway occupation Desmos regularly because it's merely so tardily to use. It actually couldn't endure simpler. As it's web-based, I encourage my pupils (particularly at Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 level) to occupation Desmos at dwelling family to back upwards their studies, for event to depository fiscal establishment agree graph sketches.

Desmos on the Interactive Whiteboard
When instruction exponential functions to Year 12, I used Desmos on my IWB to demo the graphs of functions such equally y = 2x as well as y = 3x. We discussed our expectations for graphs such equally y = 2-x as well as used Desmos to check.  When nosotros plotted y = (-2)x nosotros got an interesting resultant - which had me stumped for a infinitesimal - tin terminate you lot explicate it?


Desmos is especially helpful for demonstrating concepts inward Further Maths (such equally the directrix as well as focus of a parabola) - there's roughly skilful examples in this blog.

Desmos inward the information technology Room
My schoolhouse doesn’t ain tablets as well as information technology rooms are rarely available, then my pupils don't oft acquire the adventure to occupation technology during their Maths lessons. But I was then bully to part Desmos amongst my Year nine class, I made a big endeavor to acquire organised. I produced this worksheet for them to occupation inward an information technology room, amongst the aim of introducing dissimilar types of graph (quadratic, cubic, reciprocal) as well as elementary transformations. After a really curt demonstration of Desmos, the degree spent 2 whole lessons working independently. I was pleased amongst their progress as well as I promise that they'll recollect Desmos as well as maintain to occupation it equally a learning tool both at dwelling family as well as at school.

I loaded my worksheet onto TES today - along amongst a graph transformation activity that I occupation at Key Stage iv - as well as it got me thinking close whether whatsoever other resources are available for instruction amongst Desmos.  I flora a few examples on TES, such as Investigating request lines amongst Desmos yesteryear Tristan Jones and Using Desmos to learn Coordinate Geometry (KS3) yesteryear phildate. I human face that the make of instruction resources available volition grow equally increasing numbers of teachers notice as well as comprehend this fantastic tool.