I'm Finished...What Should Ane Do?

If you've taught to a greater extent than than 1 day, than you lot conduct keep in all probability heard the question..."I'm finished, what should I create now?" I've constitute over the course of report of my outset 4 years of teaching, it is extremely of import to conduct keep something create for those students who create acquire done early. It helps avoid demeanour issues (stemming from boredom!) in addition to tin hold out a slap-up chance for roughly additional learning to conduct keep place! I catch it would hold out fun to part roughly of the ideas in addition to resources that I conduct keep used to respond this question, helping to proceed those terminal minutes of cast productive for students who goal their math piece of work early.

Two of the options that I encourage my speedy workers to endeavor when finished involve a challenge! One of these is my Challenge of the Week. I genuinely got the catch during my outset twelvemonth of pedagogy to assist respond that mutual question..."what should I create now?"  My Challenge of the Week work is commonly the outset affair my students become to if they conduct keep roughly extra time. I position a novel work upward every Mon morning. Students conduct keep until the goal of the 24-hour interval Th to submit answers. On Friday, nosotros become over the work in addition to I denote the winners. You tin read to a greater extent than most these problems on my Challenge of the Week page of my blog! 


 than you lot conduct keep in all probability heard the query I'm Finished...What Should I Do?The other challenge I ever conduct keep out in addition to create for students are my math enrichment cards. Since I run these alongside roughly of my students during math workshop rotations, roughly conduct keep already solved these problems. However, I all the same reveal the cards that are from our electrical flow chapter thence that whatsoever students who haven't had a adventure to endeavor them tin hand them a shot! 

My other pick for students who conduct keep completed their piece of work is to pick out a game from a depository fiscal establishment of fun math games that I conduct keep discovered over the years. I volition commonly pick a brace of these for students to pick out from on whatsoever given day. One of my favorites is Math 24! Our schoolhouse participates inward a Math 24 contest inward the boundary in addition to this is a slap-up fourth dimension for my students to practice. The double cycle Math 24 is novel for my sixth graders, since inward fifth degree they run the unmarried cycle cards. If you lot haven't played Math 24 before, the object is to abide by a number 1-9 to become inward the center. You must hold out able to acquire each side of the cycle to separately equal 24, using whatsoever operations in addition to each number solely once. I would definitely recommend finding a few sets for you lot math classroom!

Two other math games that I conduct keep constitute students LOVE are the Product Game in addition to the Factor Game. In the Product Game, students practise their basic facts spell trying to acquire 4 consecutive numbers circled on the board. I honey the strategy involved inward this one. It is fun to regard whether students play aggressively in addition to "Go for the win" or if they play defence forcefulness past times trying to block the other player. This is genuinely a fun means to practise basic facts!

In the Factor Game, students practise finding the factors of dissimilar numbers. Player 1 circles whatsoever number in addition to and thence Player 2 must circle all the factors of that number. Players become dorsum in addition to forth, alternating who picks the outset number. At the goal of the game, each instrumentalist adds upward all of the numbers that they conduct keep circled to regard who the winner is!

Another fun game that I learned from in 1 lawsuit of my students terminal twelvemonth is called Siega. This is such an tardily game to gear upward in addition to play. All you lot demand is a slice of paper, a pen or pencil, in addition to roughly kind of colored counters or newspaper to run every bit game pieces. Unfortunately, it doesn't involve a ton of math, but it does involve a ton of slap-up strategy! Students laid out the game alongside 3 counters on their side of the board. The goal of the game is to acquire their 3 counters into a direct business (vertical, horizontal, or diagonal) other than the business they start in. Players conduct keep turns moving 1 slice at a time. Players tin solely motility a slice to an next spot (next to or diagonal) that is non already occupied. Kids absolutely honey this 1 in addition to are commonly begging to play it!

In add-on to the depository fiscal establishment of games I've mentioned, I commonly conduct keep 1 or ii topic-specific math games that relate to whatever topic nosotros are currently studying.

Finally, 1 of the terminal options I commonly include for students who are finished alongside piece of work are flash cards. I spent roughly fourth dimension creating flash cards to run into the needs of all of my students. Whether they are all the same working on add-on facts or conduct keep already mastered their basic multiplication facts, I at in 1 lawsuit conduct keep a laid of flash cards that volition challenge them. Most of my students are working on either multiplication or segmentation facts. For my students who already conduct keep these down, I created roughly challenge multiplication flash cards to stretch their mental math skills! If you lot demand a laid of flash cards, you lot tin abide by them inward my store at the next link. They are every bit good available separately if you lot solely demand a laid for a specific operation!

Flash Card Bundle

When I started teaching, 1 of the outset questions I realized I needed to hold out able to respond was, "I'm done...what tin I do?" These are merely a few of the options I conduct keep created or constitute thence that my students tin run that extra fourth dimension inward a productive, fun, in addition to challenging way. I promise you lot conduct keep been able conduct keep something away from this that you lot tin position into run inward your classroom! I'd honey to withdraw heed whatsoever other slap-up ideas that you lot conduct keep inward the comments department below! Enjoy wintertime interruption everyone!