Mystery Prize Review Action (For Whatever Topic/Grade!)

Recently, I tried out this review activeness amongst both my sixth together with eighth aeroplane math classes. It was ane of those activities that you lot innovation terminal infinitesimal to create total fourth dimension together with learn some extra review... together with it turns out to hold upwardly actually effective together with motivating! Both my sixth together with eighth aeroplane classes were reviewing for a exam together with I had loads of extra Halloween candy, hence I decided to combine the two.

My showtime mensuration was to create mystery prizes. I wanted vii mystery prizes to learn along amongst the vii review questions that students would hold upwardly answering. In improver to the extra Halloween candy, I made a quick trip to the dollar shop to catch some packs of paste (always skilful prizes) together with some mints. I also had some fun math Pi pencils leftover from Pi Day terminal spring. All of my mystery prize bags contained some combination of these items!




Next, I needed to create some review problems. This didn't possess got long... I focused on vii algebra topics that nosotros were working on at the fourth dimension inwards our class. If you lot are looking for some middle schoolhouse aeroplane questions, you lot could easily piece of work some of my Scavenger Hunt questions equally questions for this review equally well. I also lately added a FREE laid upwardly of half dozen problems that tin hold upwardly piece of work equally a sixth aeroplane math review.

The morning time of our review, I posted the vii problems some the room. Next to each question, I taped the corresponding mystery prize pocketbook adjacent to the question. I also lay a bucket together with some fighting newspaper adjacent to each problem. You wouldn't believe how motivating the mystery prizes were equally students came inwards the door! The dominion was, you lot couldn't deport on the pocketbook (but you lot could await at it or olfactory belongings it!).



After that, the prep was complete! To start the activity, I told students that they could walk some the room at their ain footstep together with produce the problems inwards whatever order. They could piece of work lone or amongst a partner, only they both had to submit piece of work together with answers separately if they chose to piece of work inwards partners. At each problem, they took a slice of fighting paper, completed the problem, together with lay their respond inwards the bucket adjacent to that work (don't forget names!).









After close 15-20 minutes, or ane time students had a adventure to stimulate them all, I had the shape learn dorsum to their seats. One at a time, nosotros discussed the right respond to each problem. After nosotros went over the answer, I drew responses from that bucket until at that spot was a right answer. The showtime right respond won that mystery prize!

To spread out the wealth a bit, I did brand a dominion that ane time you lot had won a prize, you lot couldn't win some other one. The exclusively exception was if a educatee won a prize, together with and hence on a subsequently query was the exclusively educatee to learn the respond correct. Fortunately this didn't happen, since nosotros had multiple right answers on the problems!

This was a nifty activity! Sometimes it seems similar the terminal infinitesimal ideas plough out to piece of work amend than the ones you lot innovation hours for... together with this was no exception. The thought of a "mystery prize" was actually what hooked the students inwards together with made it extremely motivating to piece of work to learn the right answers to the problems!