Math Encephalon Teaser Challenge!

Sometimes the best classroom ideas come upwards in i lawsuit textbooks are turned in, no novel math lessons are inwards the plans, too the schoolhouse yr is winding down! This year, whether it was a result of inventiveness or that end-of-year desperation, I tried out a novel math encephalon teaser activeness inwards my classroom. It turned out to live on a fun means to croak on the sixth graders engaged (and moving!) every bit our concluding calendar week of schoolhouse came to an end.

It's truly a pretty uncomplicated concept. I searched closed to online too constitute some costless math encephalon teaser problems that I sentiment would agree my class. I threw the ones that I liked into a PowerPoint, too hence that I 6 full encephalon teasers, each on their ain poster. They looked something similar this.


There are enough of nifty sites that bring fun encephalon teasers, but the main ii websites that I pulled mine from were CoolMath4Kids too Math Warehouse.

Next, I posted the 6 encephalon teaser posters closed to the room. Each work every bit good had a handbasket too flake newspaper adjacent to it for students to write too house their guesses. To start the activity, students walked closed to at their ain pace, reading too attempting to solve the problems. I permit them larn inwards whatever order. After a educatee attempted a encephalon teaser, they wrote their advert too reply on a slice of flake paper, too placed it inwards the handbasket adjacent to that problem.


After most xx minutes, nosotros got dorsum together every bit a class. One at a time, nosotros went through the solution to each problem. After solving it, I drew answers out of the handbasket for that problem. The outset right reply to live on drawn from each handbasket won a prize (in my cast a mint or a Starburst)! Hope y'all enjoyed this quick too slowly activity... it could truly live on adapted to whatever degree or subject, it is merely a thing of finding the right flat of encephalon teasers for your students!