Volume Review Action For Sixth Class Math

A rainy Fri nighttime has given me a conduct chances to learn dorsum inwards the blogging footing (I omnibus baseball, hence the the gratuitous nights these days are few in addition to far between!). In sixth flat math, nosotros but finished upwards our unit of measurement on volume. During my get-go few years of teaching, I constitute that this is an expanse that sixth graders oftentimes create create to grasp right away. I decided to pass an extra dyad of days reviewing in addition to practicing how to notice the book of rectangular prisms, triangular prisms, pyramids, cylinders, in addition to cones! The enquiry was...what should nosotros create to aid review?

It's amazing how sometimes the lastly infinitesimal didactics ideas oftentimes plough out the best! This was ane of those "night before" ideas that I thought I'd laissez passer on a try. To start, I spent nigh xv minutes creating these book posters on 5 pieces of poster board.


After taping the 5 posters upwards but about the room, I gave each pupil 5 post-it notes. I had them label their post-it notes amongst the 5 unlike figures. Then, I divided the shape into 5 groups...each grouping starting at a unlike poster. I gave each grouping 3-4 minutes to notice the book of their shape. Each pupil was required to demo their locomote on their ain post-it, but I encouraged them to locomote amongst their grouping members if they got stuck. I made certain to emphasize that if they got done early on they should aid out their grouping members who were all the same working! Here are some pictures of my students difficult at work!



After having all 5 groups rotate to each station, I had students house their 5 post-it notes on the matching poster. I had them hold back to create this pace at the cease (rather in addition to hence every bit they did each problem) hence that other groups wouldn't encounter the locomote that they had done. Here are the 5 posters amongst their post-it notes attached!






After placing their post-it notes on the posters, I brought the shape dorsum together. Giving them 3 minutes to walk but about the room, I had them await for ii specific things. Number one...things that nosotros did good every bit a class. Number two...any mistakes they saw in addition to how to right them. This terminal pace of the action was rattling insightful. Before having them walk around, I made certain to stress the thought that if they could notice some other student's fault in addition to explicate how to cook it, that it showed that they actually understood the concept. I was impressed past times how many students could create this!

This was such an slow in addition to effective review action that I had to share! I also dear how it could live applied to almost whatsoever concept. I excogitation on using this construction for a review action at the cease of each of my units!