Guest Spider Web Log Post Service Amongst Tara From The Simple Math Maniac! (2Nd Shape Activity)

I'm excited to accept a wonderful invitee today!  Tara has a neat 2d aeroplane math activity.  Make certain to banking concern check out her weblog in addition to follow her wonderful resources in addition to ideas at The Elementary Math Maniac : )

If anyone wants to live a invitee blogger hither at but fill upwards out the shape inwards the tab higher upwards in addition to I tin add together y'all to the schedule.  Thanks 1 time to a greater extent than Tara!




Using Arrow Cards to Help Second Graders Read in addition to Write Numbers to 1000


H5N1 large thought inwards the Common Core State Standards for minute aeroplane is beingness able to sympathise house value in addition to read in addition to write numbers upwards to 1000. Arrow cards tin live an effective and fun agency to attain this goal.  


Materials

      You volition ask arrow bill of fare blacklines.  Print or re-create them onto cardstock or, if y'all accept a magnetic white board or other large magnetic surface, it tin live really beneficial to impress your arrow cards onto magnetic printer paperm excited to accept a wonderful invitee today Guest Blog postal service amongst Tara from The Elementary Math Maniac! (2nd Grade activity).  You volition meet inwards many of my pictures I accept magnetic arrow cards.  They produce ask to live printed on an inkjet printer, non a Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation one!  The other benefit of using magnetic ones is that they stick to each other quite well.  I accept a laid that is magnetic for role amongst whole grouping instruction in addition to to a greater extent than or less other laid that is printed onto laminated cardstock that I role for minor grouping or private instruction. There are several dissimilar styles of arrow cards available for gratuitous online in addition to the ones I linked to before inwards this postal service produce non check the ones y'all volition meet inwards the pictures.


The Set Up in addition to Routine

I start this routine lesson yesteryear placing each arrow bill of fare out 1 yesteryear 1 in addition to having kids read them to me.  This should live tardily in addition to fluent for kids before y'all laid about combining the arrow cards.  If reading these numbers is non yet fluent for your students.  Practice them before moving on amongst these activities.

     After I accept ensured all kids tin read the numbers on each arrow card, I start to exhibit them how I combine them to brand other numbers.  I start yesteryear showing them two separate arrow cards in addition to having them read each one, in addition to thence I seat them together (arrows ever acquire on move yesteryear of each other) in addition to accept them read it equally 1 number.
Separate arrow cards that are close to live pushed together to shape 1 number


This is what it looks similar when the 40 in addition to the 8 arrow cards are placed on move yesteryear of each other.    Arrows ever acquire together.
I start amongst making 2 digit numbers in addition to I avoid the 10 until I accept done a bunch of other combinations.  The argue for this is that 10 does non follow the rules.  When I produce 48, the kids meet in addition to state twoscore than eight.  When I force them together, they state forty-eight. The x in addition to to a greater extent than or less to a greater extent than numbers (teen numbers) are the alone ones that don't follow this rule.  Let's state I choose grip of the 10 bill of fare in addition to the 6 card.  Reading them separately would live x in addition to six.  When y'all seat them together, y'all volition listen to a greater extent than or less kids state ten-six.  This is a neat fourth dimension to verbalize close how sixteen actually does hateful ten-six but that nosotros state them a dissimilar way.  Ask kids to assist y'all detect other numbers (all of them volition live betwixt 10 in addition to 20) where this works.  When kids accept this idea, it is fourth dimension to motion onto hundreds.


 



Again I start amongst 2 or more separate cards in addition to accept kids read them in addition to and thence seat them together in addition to accept them read it again.  

Numbers similar 103 are supposed to live learned inwards initiative of all aeroplane nether the Common Core.   Of course, this is 1 of the most challenging numbers for initiative of all graders to read in addition to write thence y'all tin almost guarantee that y'all volition accept kids at the commencement of minute aeroplane who ask to a greater extent than exercise amongst this idea.  I dearest the agency the arrow cards actually demonstrate why 103 is non written equally 1003.  There volition ofttimes live a kid who points out that the 3 is hiding 1 of the zeros.  This is a large thought in addition to worth exploring if individual brings it up.
As kids acquire to a greater extent than fluent amongst reading the numbers apart in addition to and thence together, I mightiness switch things upwards on them in addition to exhibit them a seat out that is seat together in addition to and thence describe it apart to "check" their thinking.
For this one, I had kids unopen their eyes in addition to I chose iii seat out cards off the board.  I had them opened upwards their eyes in addition to whisper the seat out to a partner.  I in addition to thence describe the cards apart to banking concern check if they are right.

When I describe the cards apart, non alone tin kids meet they are correct but this leads correct into a intelligence on expanded shape (which too happens to live a minute aeroplane expectation inwards the Common Core) I seat the numbers on the board inwards a pulled apart fashion in addition to connect them amongst improver signs. 
I acquire 1 stride farther in addition to write the entire equation that nosotros exactly said.  Here nosotros noticed that 268 was the same equally (or equal to) 200 + 60 + 8
After 1-2 whole grouping lessons on these ideas, kids actually seem to acquire it.  I ofttimes produce 1-2 to a greater extent than minor grouping or intervention lessons on kids who are nonetheless struggling in addition to volition sometimes describe the arrow cards out afterwards inwards the twelvemonth for a quick review.  Kids accept a lot of fun amongst these in addition to are normally happy to role the cards again.

If y'all accept computers inwards your room, this game in addition to this game are neat ways to allow kids exercise amongst arrow cards independently.

Adapting for older or younger children

I too role the arrow cards inwards Kindergarten, first, 3rd in addition to 4th grades.  I exactly vary the gain of numbers I role in addition to the speed at which I acquire through the routine.

Here is what my gear upwards mightiness facial expression similar inwards K or first.  In Kindergarten I mightiness even restrict the numbers farther but I never EVER start amongst the teen numbers.  I ever relieve them for last.

H5N1 3rd or 4th aeroplane lesson gear upwards mightiness facial expression similar this

If y'all desire to read to a greater extent than close using arrow cards inwards the classroom, banking concern check out this article from Education World or this resource from NZ maths.  

Have y'all ever used arrow cards inwards your classroom? Are they something y'all are thinking close trying?