Monday Math Alongside Text.

I've been real busy.  So busy that I didn't leave of absence to produce my Sabbatum post.  I did accept a peachy weekend getting a critique on the manuscript I accept been working on.  My lovely assistant is helping me amongst the illustrations.


So, since I accept been busy writing as well as revising I idea today's Mon math would endure nigh text, specifically text inwards books.  Although, if kids are reading text similar street signs as well as names of businesses equally y'all receive to a greater extent than or less town that would operate too.

Supplies: H5N1 majority or ii per student.

Activity: Ask questions y'all desire to respect out that accept to produce amongst numbers.

  • How many paragraphs are on each page?
  • How many sentences are on each page?
  • What is the average length of each sentence?
  • How many syllables are inwards ane paragraph?
  • After each pupil has answered the questions, compare the answers.  Are they similar or actually different?  Discuss letters as well as phrases.  What are the most mutual letters inwards the English linguistic communication language?
If y'all are playing amongst a immature tike y'all tin simply beak nigh words--such equally words to a greater extent than or less town (like the street signs as well as trouble concern signs).  You tin beak nigh the shapes of letters even--which letters accept curves, which ones accept straight off lines as well as angles?