Crunching The Numbers To Independently Release A Moving-Picture Demo Book

Hey everyone!  I am thus excited virtually the feedback I conduct keep gotten from many of you lot regarding my newest firm to independently release my novelty book.  I idea I would part alongside you lot a lilliputian virtually the procedure in addition to some things I'm finding out.

Okay, get-go of all it powerfulness involvement you lot to know a lilliputian flake virtually traditionally published books.  Did you lot know a typical film mass writer volition instruct a $3,000-$10,000 advance.  Then, inwards gild to instruct paid whatsoever to a greater extent than the mass needs to sale plenty copies to pay dorsum the advance in addition to and thus the writer gets royalty checks.  A mutual royalty is commonly a pocket-size fraction of the sales toll 10-15%.  You are looking at getting virtually $0.70-$1.20 per each mass sale for a typical 32 page film book.  I ever idea that was super low.  But if you lot intend virtually all the people that involve to instruct paid to orbit the mass I tin dismiss understand.  This is the printer, the formatter, the editor, the agent (typically), the illustrator (if non the author), the marketing department, etc.

Here are how the numbers are working out thus far alongside my planned publication of The Pancake Menu: What volition you lot order? Menu & Cookbook.  I only got my get-go quote from a printer (now perish on inwards hear my mass volition live on 9"x 12" alongside 100 lb thick newspaper in addition to non the typical format--here is a lilliputian video of a mini version)
Because of the complexity of the pages it would live on agency every bit good expensive to orbit inwards the USA, thus I conduct keep contacted iii off shore printers (they impress inwards China, Korea, etc.)

My get-go quote was for 2000 copies, $3.30 a book.  That sounds pretty inexpensive to me.  Then I researched on Amazon how much it costs to live on an Amazon Advantage fellow member (this is if you lot are acting every bit the printer for your ain book--you purchase the ISBN/barcode in addition to stuff).  I was shocked at how much they take--55% of the retail price!!!  Whoa.  No wonder they are thus big.  So, I instruct 45% of the retail toll in addition to they purpose the buffer 55% to gear upwards the toll how high or depression they desire in addition to conduct keep the distribution.

Now accept into consideration if I toll my mass at $24.95 my 45% is $11.23, in addition to thus subtract the toll of the printing that is $7.93.  But I volition incur other costs too.  For the formatter virtually $1400, ISBN numbers in addition to barcode $320, summation other costs that are outflow to popular up.  I am looking at roughly $6 a mass inwards profit.  I must tell that is a lot less than I idea when I get-go heard the printing would live on $3.30 a book.

There volition also live on costs alongside storing the books...  Amazon doesn't concord onto a 1000000 books for you.  They inquire for pocket-size quantities get-go in addition to and thus based on past times sales they may inquire for larger amounts.  Only when they run out orbit they inquire for more.  The most lucre for independent authors comes when you lot tin dismiss sell directly--whether off of a website or doing schoolhouse visits.  Then you lot tin dismiss hand them a discount off the retail toll but the large Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 isn't taking their huge chunk (so a lucre of $10-12 is possible).

I constitute all this interesting...It does seem similar a lot of work, but I actually desire my mass to live on able to live on enjoyed past times kids everywhere in addition to at nowadays I conduct keep to a greater extent than control.  So, Amazon does accept a large chunk but at to the lowest degree they tin dismiss transportation the mass virtually anywhere.

Here are some of the latest drawings if you lot wanted a peak
My kids conduct keep mixed feeling virtually eating pancakes that conduct keep nutrient coloring inwards them.  I intend it is thus fun!  I tell them they tin dismiss unopen their eyes if they want.  It tastes the same...

The Ladybug pancake non on the plate.
The plate for the ladybug pancake.
 Thanks for reading!  Please sign upwards for my monthly newsletter for freebies in addition to updates. : )