Math: Math Action Thursday For Fifth Graders!

So, I wasn't certain if I would hold upwards able to brand a post service today--but hither it is...
fifth graders are awesome!  I know they tin hold upwards creative together with conduct keep hence many bully ideas... How nearly this activity?

Have them budget out what it would toll to create together with brand a thing they truly desire to make!

I'm non talking a simple, "If I bake cookies I tin sell them for $0.50 each" sort of thing.  They ask to accept into consideration the production toll together with everything.  My children's schoolhouse has a 4th flat merchandise fair each year--I am thinking of something along these lines, but fifty-fifty bigger.  Those kids intend of something they desire to brand together with create it together with and then sell it at the merchandise fair where the parents come upwards together with other classmates together with kids inward that flat floor tin purchase the stuff.  I conduct keep seen a proficient diverseness of things...
  • Frozen bananas
  • Hair bands
  • Friendship bracelets
  • Decorated pencil tops
  • Fridge magnets
Those things are nice, but what if you lot wanted to brand something but you lot wanted to plow it into a reality on a bigger scale.  A few days agone I mentioned I am going to hold upwards running a Kickstarter movement for the showtime majority inward my Kids Menu Books series.  To learn the The Pancake Menu novelty majority to lots of parents together with teachers I ask assistance amongst the funding to create it.  These are to a greater extent than or less of the costs together with budgets I ask to research, learn quotes for, together with intend nearly how much fourth dimension I volition hold upwards spending on everything to brand certain I tin fulfill all orders if it is successfully funded.
  • Printing costs
  • Cost for majority formatter
  • Cost of illustrator (if I cease upwards hiring one--I powerfulness truly practice this myself)
  • Cost for assistance amongst video
  • Cost of my ain time
  • Make a Kids Menu Books logo pattern together with pay for that
  • Revamp kidsmenubooks.com together with associated costs
  • Take into consideration 5% funding fee together with 4% credit card transaction fees ask to hold upwards worked into the total budget.
  • There are in all probability numerous other things but you lot powerfulness non desire to read them all.
I bet most of your students conduct keep a projection or excogitation they would honey to make.  I know my minute grader has had an thought for a novel sort of skateboard for a yoke years.  But what does he ask to practice to plow that into a reality?  He would ask to brand prototypes, run across how much the toll of the materials are, accept into consideration how much people are willing to pay together with how much fourth dimension it takes to brand the product.

So, it is most probable a 4-6 calendar week math activity, but it's my thought for you... or peradventure fifty-fifty a summertime projection for the kids at home...

What tin your student(s) create together with how much would it toll for them to learn it produced?  How much funding would they need?  About how many people would they ask to purchase it?

Feel gratuitous to link upwards your fifth flat math activity amongst the linky (which volition hold upwards opened upwards all calendar month : )

If you lot desire to learn the monthly update for together with my writer run a hazard (Kickstarter movement aimed for Jan 2015) delight sign upwards for my monthly newsletter (form inward the left column only below all my contact buttons).

Thanks,