5 Maths Gems #12

This is going to live on a relatively brusk gems ship service because I'm exhausted from entertaining xix toddlers this afternoon at my daughter's 3rd birthday party. So I'll live on brief today, but facial expression a lengthier ship service side yesteryear side calendar week when I've recovered.

1. Area of a circle (again)
In my seventh gems post I shared an applet that beautifully demonstrates how to derive the surface area of a circle yesteryear cutting it into sectors. This calendar week I establish a vivid gif that shows the same thing.
This gif is taken from the animatics (animations + mathematics) section of @MathsChallenges' website. The thinking behind this method is neatly explained in Geometry: What is the intuition behind the formula for the surface area of a circle? which was shared this calendar week by @GeometryDad.

2. Standard form
'resources library has or too thence corking ideas.

3. H5N1 grade resources
I saw this tweet from @DrTrapezio...

too thence I checked this out too establish that the Cambridge Mathematics Education Project is inviting schools to register every bit affiliates to gain early on access to their gratuitous H5N1 grade maths resources nether development. I'm e'er on the facial expression out for H5N1 grade resources too thence I registered. There's loads of corking materials on the website too I facial expression forrad to seeing the collection develop. 

Some of the CMEP's resources are forthwith featured on NRICH. For example, the question below is vivid (and non every bit difficult every bit it looks...)

I too similar the 'always, sometimes, never' bill of fare form 'Discriminating'.

Extract from Discriminating

And Parabella is a lovely work for your Year 12s studying coordinate geometry.

4. Operation Countdown
H5N1 combination of ideas too inventiveness from @LWmathsmatters, @EJmaths too @taylorda01 led to this first-class 'Operation Countdown'. I frequently role the 'four threes' activeness every bit a plenary inward an monastic say of operations lesson amongst Year 7 but it industrial plant amongst whatever historic menstruum group. I in i lawsuit used it every bit a Year xiii starter too they actually enjoyed it. The version below involves 5 threes but it's the same idea.
This film is from @taylorda01@EJmaths also made this PowerPoint which includes a dark too white version.

5. #units #ruler #workings 
I read the ship service 'Hashtag closure' yesteryear A identify for gimmicks?'). David's ship service is close using a hashtag to summarise a lesson. 

Then A Frenzy of Marking: 'Progress Over Time' close feedback stickers. When I mark, I create notice that I write the same thing over too over again, too thence stickers would salve me a lot of time. Problem is, I'm non organised plenty to role stickers. I create my mark inward a multifariousness of locations too unremarkably but receive got a reddish pen to hand. Hashtags volition function but every bit good every bit stickers, every bit long every bit my students empathize the important of the hashtags.

When I grade I'm non succinct enough. For lawsuit I frequently write 'please larn to assistance companionship at 1.30pm on Midweek inward Room 111 for assistance amongst this topic'. Instead, I could write #helpclub. I too write things similar 'Look at the enquiry - yous were meant to circular your reply to i important figure'. I could but write #rounding. My students volition larn what I hateful (especially if they receive got this key inward their practise books) too it volition salve me loads of time. "What's the quest inward the # symbol?" I take away heed yous inquire - well, yes, the symbol isn't essential, but #MrsMorganLikesHashtags too they're non doing whatever terms are they? :)

So that's it - 5 quick gems from a busy mathematical mum. I was planning to characteristic or too thence thoughts close the value (or lack of value) of iPads inward maths didactics today but didn't larn fourth dimension to create the enquiry required, too thence volition salve that for my side yesteryear side gems post.

I'm too planning to write a ship service close circle theorems side yesteryear side week. I've got or too thence ideas but if you
receive got an interesting means of teaching circle theorems or whatever amazing resources, delight allow me know.

Also, don't forget to cheque out my other website, prethomework.weebly.com - the extensive collection has grown over half-term.

I'll larn out yous amongst a base of operations eleven abacus which I squall upwards is cute but volition annoy @solvemymaths (see his ship service 'My Base eleven Abacus Bugbear').