5 Maths Gems #19

Hello in addition to welcome to my 19th gems post. This is where I percentage but about of the best education ideas I've seen on Twitter each week. Most of my gems accept come upward from across the Atlantic today.

1. Polygraph
There's been a lot of buzz almost Desmos' novel Polygraph activities. They're mathematical versions of Guess Who, designed to 'foster the pleasance in addition to the ability of words without the drudgery of the lists'. There are currently 4 Polygraph activities:

Let's expect at Polygraph: Parabolas. Students operate inwards pairs (a picker in addition to a guesser) on split tablets, phones or computers. The picker selects a graph from a prepare of parabolas. The guesser sees the same prepare of parabolas - their employment is to position which graph the picker has chosen past times quest a serial of yes/no questions. For instance they mightiness inquire almost the release of roots or the place of the vertex or y-intercept. The guesser types their questions in addition to the picker responds amongst yes, no, or don't know. The guesser keeps quest questions until they are able to position the chosen graph.
Students hence accept the chance to analyse in addition to refine their questioning, in addition to yous accept a degree discussion to formalise the mathematical vocabulary.

As amongst Desmos' awesome Gems 13, it's incredibly quick in addition to slow to larn started. I'm going to endure education quadratics to Year 10 presently in addition to can't hold off to purpose the Parabolas activity. And I programme to purpose the Linear Graphs version amongst my Year 9s too.
Extract from Polygraph: Lines
2. Point, Point, Gradient
Tina Cardone (@crstn85) shared this lovely activity 'Point, Point, Slope' past times Michael Fenton (@mjfenton). It's a elementary but effective lesson view inwards which students accept to purpose whatsoever digit from 2 to nine to create 2 points - yous could laissez passer them post-its or release tiles to shuffle around. You furnish criteria, such equally 'create 2 points which create upward one's heed a draw amongst the greatest possible gradient'. Read the amount post for to a greater extent than ideas. There's loads yous could create amongst this activity, for instance yous could inquire your students to use 6 unlike digits (from 0 - 9) to create 3 points which prevarication on the same line. It's a expert means to educate agreement of linear graphs in addition to I recall it would operate good at both GCSE in addition to AS level.

Michael's spider web log is amount of splendid ideas. For instance in Two Fractions students house digits in addition to operators inwards the boxes below to brand an facial expression amongst the greatest possible value.
This reminds me of the Blanks activities I featured inwards Gems 17, which yous tin laissez passer notice read to a greater extent than almost inwards Sarah Aldous' post Gems 13 I talked almost making your students 'Number Experts'. I shared 2 websites that are useful for finding out properties of numbers (numbergossip.com in addition to numdic.com). Both websites are splendid - for example, numbergossip.com tells me that 28 is a perfect, composite, happy number, and numdic.com (which wins the prize for funniest URL) gives me the binary in addition to Roman Numeral representations of 28. I've right away discovered a novel website - the Number Property Calculator - which I similar because of the means it gives data almost the important of the release properties. Here's a small extract from what comes upward when I search for 28:
I constitute this website when I was browsing through onetime posts on Math Munch. Math Munch is a 'Weekly Digest of the Mathematical Internet'. It's packed amount of fantastic resources in addition to ideas hence it's definitely worth subscribing to have weekly e-mail updates, in addition to yous tin laissez passer notice follow them on Twitter likewise (@MathMunch).

5. Drawing Euclid
Andy Shaw (@Squidworm74) pointed me inwards the direction of these lovely Euclid videos on YouTube past times Shoo Rayner (@shoorayner). They are fantastic videos in addition to I can't hold off to percentage them amongst my Year vii students. Check out the amount playlist here. Here's an instance almost unlike types of triangles:



That's it for this week. I promise you've constitute but about inspiration inwards this post. I'll travel out yous amongst this bright video past times the always awesome Vi Hart - The Gauss Christmath Special. Thanks to Chris Smith (@app03102) for sharing this.




Have a wonderful Christmas!