#Mathsconf5

Yesterday La Salle Education held their 5th National Maths Teacher Conference. I didn't attend the start 1 (I was really novel to Twitter at the time) but I've attended the final 4 conferences as well as stimulate got actually enjoyed them all. I honey learning to a greater extent than near maths instruction - I ever become dorsum to schoolhouse feeling inspired as well as total of fresh ideas.

This fourth dimension the conference was held at Ponds Forge inward Sheffield. The venue was a flake oil around the edges as well as it was a shame that in that place was no technical back upward available for presenters, but Sheffield is ever a pleasance to visit. I travelled upward later schoolhouse on Friday, spending my long develop journeying marker terrible S1 homeworks (note to self: instruct measure difference again!). At Doncaster I bumped into some other Jo (the lovely @JoLocke1) - it was overnice to stimulate got a companion for the residue of the journey. Following a brief halt at the hotel nosotros went to the pre-conference drinks at All Bar One. It was actually overnice to relax as well as verbalize to people amongst usual interests - I enjoyed chatting near maths instruction amongst tweeps including (pictured below) @suzekward, @Ms_Kmp, @MoreThanMaths and @MsSteel_Maths.
In the morn I walked over to the conference amongst Jo Gledhill (the immature human being Lead Practitioner I'd met on my means to Sheffield), Charmayne Bailey (also a Lead Practitioner, just dorsum from Shanghai) as well as Mo Ladak (AST as well as writer of the vivid website MathedUp!). What fantastic people - I couldn't stimulate got asked for amend company. On arrival I spotted not-so-grumpy Ed Southall (of solvemymaths.com - creator of the Maths Mr Men) - he kindly bought me a bacon sandwich as well as told me near the book he's writing, which is going to live absolutely essential reading for maths teachers.

I'm straightaway going to portion my thoughts on the 3 workshops I attended - I'm non a cracking greenback taker hence these are non detailed accounts, just a few highlights.

New GCSE - Andrew Taylor as well as Craig Barton
This workshop left me slightly terrified near the novel GCSE! I honey Craig's operate but I've never seen him nowadays before. He is a highly entertaining as well as engaging presenter as well as I really much enjoyed listening to his thoughts as well as insights. I'm quite familiar amongst the novel GCSE content - I've complied a whole page total of resources for the novel topics - but taking some other aspect at sample attempt out questions, amongst Craig's commentary, was incredibly helpful. My immediate thoughts were:
  • The novel content on Foundation - for instance trigonometry as well as quadratics - is merely non suitable for this tier. The inclusion of these novel topics seems to totally negate the betoken of a two-tier GCSE. This sort of nonsense makes me cross. 
  • In my persuasion our maths curriculum is far equally good broad at Key Stage 4 (for both tiers) - instead of including novel topics, topics should stimulate got been removed hence nosotros tin embrace the of import materials inward to a greater extent than depth. The authorities is desperate to improve our international maths rankings, but I believe that what nosotros instruct is a bigger employment than how nosotros instruct - as well as inward my persuasion the novel GCSE has gone inward the incorrect direction.
  • The novel GCSE volition include familiar topics inward non-routine questions. I similar the mode of the novel GCSE questions really much but they volition surely nowadays a large challenge for most students. The examples Craig showed clearly demonstrated this. We stimulate got our operate cutting out! 
Craig announced a novel resources from AQA as well as diagnosticquestions.com which I'm sure volition bear witness really helpful.  Here you volition find a collection of multiple selection quizzes inward the mode of novel GCSE questions (more coming soon). As there's a Foundation as well as Higher version for each topic, Craig suggested using the Foundation tests equally a baseline, as well as then instruction the content, as well as then using the Higher tests to assess progress. An instance enquiry is shown below.

As I've said, I don't brand cracking notes at conferences - but I was sitting side yesteryear side to Ed during this session and, equally you lot tin see, his notes are crystal clear... Yes, that's a sheep.

Paper Maths - Jenny Steel
Pink-haired Jenny is fabulous, as well as I knew just what to aspect from her workshop - lots of fourth dimension to play amongst paper, interspersed amongst instruction ideas. It was actually fun as well as in that place was a lovely atmosphere inward the room. I'm non cracking amongst this sort of matter (I've never had whatever success whatsoever amongst origami) but foldables (which are large inward America) are definitely something I tin manage.
Check out Jenny's blog for lots to a greater extent than near this. She's planning to gear upward a website for sharing foldables too.

During this workshop I was really lucky to sit down side yesteryear side to Kim (@Ms_Kmp) who writes the wonderful website mathssandpit.co.uk - she's really creative as well as was showing me all sorts of fantastic newspaper maths. Here's my tabular array enjoying themselves:
Thanks to Suzanne Gardner for showing me a clever play a joke on for making a quick revision booklet. And Ed (@solvemymaths) told us how to revitalise gum sticks - seat a driblet of H2O inward the lid, seat the lid on as well as acquire out it upside downwardly overnight. 

Overall this was a cracking workshop - thank you lot really much to Jenny for organising it.

Shanghai - Bruno Reddy, Craig Jeavons, Matt Fox
With 3 presenters just dorsum from Shanghai, I knew there'd live a lot to larn here. I enjoyed this session really much. As good equally all the myth busting (most strikingly, the youngster sleeping at the dorsum of a classroom), enough of transferable instruction ideas were shared inward this session. Craig has blogged near it here - slides as well as notes volition live available presently hence these ideas tin live shared to a greater extent than widely. 

We looked at how indices are taught, including the progression of questions which was fascinating. We also looked at translation (that's slide/glide to my non-UK readers) - I honey the means the topic is introduced using videos as well as pictures, followed yesteryear really clear, good structured explanations.

Narrative plays a large business office inward maths lessons inward Shanghai - I wrote near the benefits of instruction through storytelling inward my post service near High Expectations.
Picture by @DrBennison
Overall this was an first-class session - I liked hearing near maths instruction inward Shanghai from 3 dissimilar perspectives as well as the content gave me a lot to intend about.

I was pleased amongst all my workshop choices. I'm getting amend at picking the correct sessions - those that incorporate master copy ideas or helpful insights as well as are direct relevant to my usage or embrace an surface area of involvement to me. I was really distressing to immature lady Kris Bolton's workshop on the Stories of Maths, but Tom Bennison came to the rescue as well as filmed the whole verbalize (video here) - hurrah!

I hope that people who attended my workshop on Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 grade resources institute it to live content-rich as well as good structured - whatever feedback is welcome. I want I'd had to a greater extent than fourth dimension hence that delegates could stimulate got a become at to a greater extent than of the activities I shared. But I did my best to embrace equally much equally I could inward l minutes as well as I promise people institute it helpful. I've written all near my workshop blog for lots to a greater extent than near this. She's planning to gear upward a website for sharing foldables too.

During this workshop I was really lucky to sit down side yesteryear side to Kim (@Ms_Kmp) who writes the wonderful website mathssandpit.co.uk - she's really creative as well as was showing me all sorts of fantastic newspaper maths. Here's my tabular array enjoying themselves:
Thanks to Suzanne Gardner for showing me a clever play a joke on for making a quick revision booklet. And Ed (@solvemymaths) told us how to revitalise gum sticks - seat a driblet of H2O inward the lid, seat the lid on as well as acquire out it upside downwardly overnight. 

Overall this was a cracking workshop - thank you lot really much to Jenny for organising it.

Shanghai - Bruno Reddy, Craig Jeavons, Matt Fox
With 3 presenters just dorsum from Shanghai, I knew there'd live a lot to larn here. I enjoyed this session really much. As good equally all the myth busting (most strikingly, the youngster sleeping at the dorsum of a classroom), enough of transferable instruction ideas were shared inward this session. Craig has blogged near it here - slides as well as notes volition live available presently hence these ideas tin live shared to a greater extent than widely. 

We looked at how indices are taught, including the progression of questions which was fascinating. We also looked at translation (that's slide/glide to my non-UK readers) - I honey the means the topic is introduced using videos as well as pictures, followed yesteryear really clear, good structured explanations.

Narrative plays a large business office inward maths lessons inward Shanghai - I wrote near the benefits of instruction through storytelling inward my post service near here for those who didn't attend.
A Susan Wall activity from my workshop
TweetUp
Julia Smith (@tessmaths) did a vivid chore of organising the TweetUp at lunchtime. I was inward accuse of the photobooth - give thank you lot you to all who posed for a photo.

Cakes as well as Gifts 
Huge thank you lot to Andrew Paget, Julia Smith as well as Rob Smith for the gifts - such generous people. Thanks also to Luke Graham for inviting me to acquire involved inward his GCSE collaboration session which I'm sure he'll weblog near soon. 

Apologies for non mentioning everyone who I spoke to - it actually was lovely to run into novel people, as well as to reckon people over again who I've met at previous conferences.

I ever honey the cake contest - the within of the Rubik's Cube cake was especially impressive! All the cakes were awesome, but I was pleased to reckon the circle theorem cakes win the prize - banking corporation check out the tiny tangents.

Overall it was a cracking hateful solar daytime - I met many many lovely people, talked a lot near maths teaching, felt inspired, as well as survived my workshop inward 1 slice (phew!). Thanks to La Salle for some other vivid conference. See you lot all at the side yesteryear side one.

#mathsconf5 inward activeness - painting by @dmg_13