#Christmaths15

It's hard to know what to write virtually #christmaths15 because I'm notwithstanding a fighting overwhelmed yesteryear it all.

Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 few months agone I decided that I wanted to run an consequence which would supply an chance for teachers to beak virtually the novel GCSE. Importantly, I didn't desire it to endure an consequence simply for tweeters - I wanted it to endure opened upward to anyone who had an interest. Originally I was thinking of a cross betwixt a TeachMeet in addition to here) - a combination of CPD in addition to a social event. I've e'er enjoyed throwing parties in addition to Christmas seemed similar the ideal fourth dimension to create so.

Once I started contacting potential venues, I realised that it was going to endure far to a greater extent than hard than I originally thought. I couldn't abide by a large, well-located pub business office room that had AV facilities in addition to was available for gratis hire for a whole afternoon in addition to evening. I searched high in addition to depression in addition to was virtually to surrender when I stumbled upon Pause Bar, which is a business office venue located inwards the City of London - my stomping solid set down when I worked inwards Banking.
I was required to gild nutrient inwards advance which meant I had to accuse for tickets - this wasn't ideal because I was hoping to acquire inwards a gratis event, but I decided to have got a withdraw chances that people would endure willing to pay. I booked it at half-term, putting downward a hefty deposit which wiped out my meagre savings. I at nowadays regretted it! The pull per unit of measurement area was on.

Over the next calendar month my married adult man was subjected to constant updates - 'I simply sold some other ticket! Wooo!' in addition to 'I haven't sold a ticket inwards two days! This is a disaster' - that form of thing. Thankfully it did sell out pretty quickly, showing that at that spot is strong need for events similar this. I ended upward alongside a waiting list.

I had a lot of decisions to brand - speakers, food, drinks, music, puzzles, quizzes, handouts... My budget was pretty tight in addition to hence it was all really DIY (it took forever to impress the programmes on my dwelling household printer!). I did my best to acquire inwards all every bit slick in addition to professional person every bit possible. AQA really kindly provided materials relating to the novel GCSE (and gratis pens!). Emma Bell (@El_Timbre) provided puzzles in addition to Rob Beckett (@RBeckett_Yd) brought along copies of Chalkdust Magazine. I couldn't afford a DJ in addition to hence did a playlist myself, in addition to I wrote my ain quiz (which is here, if you'd similar a go! Answers available on request). From the £25 ticket price, £2.50 went direct to EventBrite in addition to some £22 went on food, drinkable in addition to service. With the balance I bought everyone a Lindt teddy!
Thankfully things went good on the day. The venue looked pretty, sparkling alongside Christmas lights. The welcome drinks went downward good in addition to the nutrient was really nice. People seemed to have got a skilful time. Most importantly, the CPD was really good received. There were a twain of problems -  the wifi was intermittent in addition to some people couldn't encounter the covert from their seat. I'm hugely lamentable virtually these things. Otherwise I shout back it was a success. I was incredibly anxious inwards the weeks leading upward to the consequence in addition to hence I'm really relieved it went quite smoothly on the day.

The speakers were brilliant. I knew they would be. I am hugely grateful to all of them. I volition write some other postal service virtually the primal ideas I took from their sessions, in addition to I volition percentage their presentations if I can.

Who bought me a Jägerbomb at 6.30pm?! You know who you lot are! I had no chance of surviving the black inwards i slice later on that. Mel (@Just_Maths) was on move yesteryear cast too, getting inwards circular later on circular of Baby Guinness. For the concluding twain of hours at that spot were exclusively a dozen of us left but nosotros had such an awesome time.
Tweeters enjoying the party
Sambuca alongside Tom Quilter of pinpointlearning.co.uk. (Rob Smith photoboming!)

I actually enjoyed chatting to in addition to hence many lovely people - I can't listing them all hither but they know who they are. Huge thank you lot to my friends who helped me gear upward everything upward at the showtime of the event, those who bought me drinks in addition to those who called me a taxi at the terminate of the night. Thank you lot also to everyone who either came to the consequence or supported me inwards some agency (particularly my long-suffering husband!).

I was given a bill of fare which was signed yesteryear my guests - I'm incredibly touched yesteryear this. I volition treasure it.
I can't brand whatsoever promises that I'll run some other consequence adjacent year! At times I was actually stressed virtually it all. It was sure the biggest projection I've ever taken on. Hosting a political party is hard move in addition to at times I said 'never again', but I know what I'm similar - I can't resist! I'm non sure virtually the venue though, in addition to the jury's out on whether it volition endure summertime or Christmas. Watch this space!

Finally, here's a Storify of the tweets from before, during in addition to later on the event. It's lovely to read through in addition to encounter how much people enjoyed themselves. I'm actually chuffed.

Merry Christmas everyone! From a really tired but happy @mathsjem.