5 Maths Gems #26

post.
Things people produce on Pi Day - Spiked Math
1. Helpful Exercise Books
I spotted foldable vertical publish lines when reading Sarah Hagan's first-class blog Math = Love. I'm definitely going to role these adjacent yr - I'll displace it out amongst my novel Year 7s inward September. They'll stick a vertical publish employment inward the dorsum of their do book. The publish employment tin too thus travel unfolded too referred to whenever it's helpful to produce so. It's skillful to larn students inward the habit of using publish lines, too I intend that vertical publish lines are to a greater extent than helpful than horizontal ones.

Speaking of publish lines, this post most Open Number Lines by @mburnsmath is worth a read. I role publish lines similar this on the board all the time.
Back to do books, I was actually interested in @Ms_Kmp's post 'Indexed Learning' which is most students numbering every page inward their do books. The post describes the numerous advantages of page numbers - I peculiarly similar the persuasion of students creating a theme index at the dorsum of their book.

2. Parallel Line Mazes
I enjoyed Gems 23 - he made an interactive display on the wall for students to bring a become at.

5. Pi Day
My schoolhouse doesn't usually produce anything for Pi Day but this yr nosotros bring a few things planned, including a pie baking competition, a treasure hunt too a Poetry Pi-Cital. The latter involves students writing too reciting a brusk poetry form most Pi, inspired past times the poetry form at the commencement of this video:

Here's a few to a greater extent than Pi Day ideas that you lot mightiness non bring persuasion of:
  • Pi recital competition. Prize for the pupil who recites the most digits of Pi. 
  • ‘Tell a maths instructor an interesting fact most Pi’
  • Freehand circle drawing competition
  • Make a giant Pi newspaper chain (a dissimilar coloring fabric for each number).

There's too 2 prissy ideas inward this post from @InteractMaths.

That's it for today's gems. If you're coming to the conference adjacent calendar week too thus I hold back forwards to coming together you, either at my workshop or during the Tweet Up (information most both sessions tin travel flora here). Do come upward too nation hi.

Finally, here's to a greater extent than or less pictures of the fantastic run done past times my Year 10s - I beloved my novel circle theorems wall. It was an slow too enjoyable lesson to run - I only gave them newspaper plates, straws too pins too they got on amongst it!