5 Maths Gems #42

Hello in addition to welcome to my 42nd gems post. This is where I part roughly of the best instruction ideas I've seen on Twitter.

1. Resources
To start, a few novel resources that yous mightiness non cause got seen.

Miss Norledge (@MissNorledge) drew inspiration from a Maths Feast problem to brand 3 coordinate geometry problems of her own. These lovely 'Triangle Regions' tasks are suitable for GCSE students or Year 12s.

The clever folks at MathsPad croak along to create fantabulous resources - this Always/Sometimes/Never True activity for Fractional Indices is excellent. The solutions render rattling helpful explanations too. I've added this to my resource library.
Here's roughly other corking novel resources from MathsPad - How many ways tin dismiss nosotros write 1 million? These are fantabulous activities for consolidating cognition of indices in addition to criterion form.


Check out mathspad.co.uk for to a greater extent than fantastic resources. And if you're on Twitter, Nicola (@MathsPadNicola) in addition to James (@MathsPadJames) are good worth following.

2. Enrichment for Sixth Form Mathematicians
Thanks to Graham Colman (@colmanweb) for sharing his listing of Maths Beyond the Curriculum activities. This listing is written for Year 12/13 - it would last especially useful for a pupil who intends to study maths at university. It could easily last adapted for other twelvemonth groups too. Here's an extract:
3. m4ths.com
Steve from m4ths.com teaches at Thomas Clarkson Academy inwards Wisbech. He has been sharing roughly bright novel resources recently. Here's a few examples.

His 'A flat page too.

4. Target Stickers
Target grades are an obsession inwards many schools. I'm non a fan. I tell my students to aim for hap grades regardless of what their target says. After all, targets are largely based on sweeping generalisations in addition to dodgy data.

Most teachers (myself included) are regularly required to study on progress against targets. I similar the sticker persuasion below from Charmayne Bailey (@MissBaileyMaths). The scale makes it actually clear to students where they stand, what their minimum target degree is, in addition to where they're heading.
5. GCSE Revision Ideas
I honey this persuasion from Mel (Some Things I've Tried inwards which I shared roughly novel instruction ideas I've been trying this term
  • In Case You Missed It... in which I shared roughly ideas in addition to resources that cause got been good received on Twitter
  • Five to Follow #ff in which I recommended 5 creative maths teachers to follow on Twitter.
  • I enjoyed participating inwards the bit Maths Journal Club chat - yous tin dismiss read a write-up of the intelligence here.
  • I used the fractions activity below alongside my Year 7s (I outset featured this activity inwards my post Thoughts on Teaching Fractions). I was quite taken aback yesteryear how revealing this chore was - it uncovered roughly serious misconceptions.
  • Ticket sales for my exciting Christmaths Party are going well.  There's solely 25 twenty-four hours tickets left in addition to then majority now! It's going to last a fantastic consequence - run into christmaths.weebly.com for details.