5 Maths Gems #30

Hi together with welcome to my 30th gems post. This is where I percentage only about of the best teaching ideas I've seen on Twitter.

1. Construction Comics
Back inwards Gems 4 I featured Paul Collins' (comic resources for teaching constructions. In his post he suggests only about opportunities to role these resources inwards the classroom.
One of Paul Collins' structure comic strips 
I haven't taught constructions this twelvemonth hence I've non nevertheless had a run a hazard to role these resources, or the awesome Gems 21).

I loved the operate shared yesteryear my namesake Mrs Morgan (@em0rgan) on Twitter this week. She asked her students to do their ain structure comic strips for homework. The results facial expression excellent. I'm non unremarkably a fan of homeworks similar this because they're hence fourth dimension consuming (both for students to gain together with teachers to mark) together with oft they don't add together much value. But inwards this instance I intend at that topographic point is value inwards students learning the procedures yesteryear documenting the steps, inwards improver to practising the constructions.
2. Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 Level Resources
Thanks to @OxfordEdMaths for sharing a gear upwards of excellent A degree assessments for C1 - C4, D1, D2, FP1, FP2, M1, M2, S1 together with S2. It tin endure difficult to honor sources of expert Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 degree questions. These gratis resources are going to endure incredibly helpful adjacent twelvemonth for theme assessments, homeworks or revision.
Speaking of Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 degree resources, do banking concern agree out the website 0a explains: Calculus (with pics together with gifs) -thanks to @mathhombre together with @solvemymaths for sharing this. I dear the pictures together with gifs on this website - they mightiness assistance teachers explicate concepts inwards calculus.


3. Homework Expectations
I've only discovered MathFour.com from Bon Crowder - it's total of creative ideas, only about of which I excogitation to characteristic inwards hereafter gems posts. One persuasion that I spotted was a 'How to Write Your Math Homework' guide. I'm going to brand a version of this for my novel classes inwards September. I can't complain nearly my students' operate non coming together my expectations if I haven't made those expectations clear from the outset.
4. Talk a Mile a Minute
Steve Wyborney (@SteveWyborney) shared his Talk a Mile a Minute Vocabulary Activity. The video below describes the activeness inwards detail. It involves students describing sets of words to their partner together with and hence discussing what those words relate to. I intend this would endure a cracking activeness for an terminate of twelvemonth lesson. Have a facial expression at Steve's post for resources. If you're looking for words for this activeness together with hence try this Vocabulary Checklist for Key Stage 3.  
5. Activities
I've seen only about lovely activities together with questions on Twitter this week.

@MathedUp shared this 'Negative numbers code-breaker activeness amongst a twist'.


@DJUdall shared this activeness which links solving equations amongst expanse together with perimeter.

@DJUdall likewise shared a query he made which combines Pythagoras' Theorem together with Standard Form. 
The latter 2 resources were shared during concluding Sunday's #mathsTLP. This is a cracking identify for maths teachers to collaborate. Do bring together inwards on Sundays at 7pm to enquire for assistance amongst lessons or to offering ideas.

Update
Because my examination classes are directly on report acquire out I had fourth dimension to excogitation only about actually prissy lessons this week. With my Year 10s I did a lesson on similar triangles using resources from the Mathematics Assessment Project. They had to kind 8 pairs of triangles into 'similar', 'not similar' or 'can't tell', drawing on their cognition of angle facts. This project is a lot harder than it sounds together with takes nearly 45 minutes to complete. I actually recommend it - here's an instance of the operate they produced hence you lot tin see what it involves.
I talked to all my students nearly palindromic numbers this calendar week (I remembered to yell it every fourth dimension I wrote the appointment on the board, because the dates were palindromic when written inwards the format m/dd/yy). Although many of my students could plough over me an instance of a discussion that is the same frontward together with backward (eg racecar), most were non familiar amongst the discussion palindrome.

Those of you lot who role Gems 10) for formative assessment volition endure pleased to listen that you lot tin directly insert pictures. For instance you lot mightiness desire to insert questions from www.diagnosticquestions.com.

That's it from me for now, but at that topographic point volition endure only about other gems post presently because there's been loads of cracking materials on Twitter lately. Wish me luck amongst my concluding calendar week at my electrical flow school! My novel project starts afterward half-term.

I'll acquire out you lot amongst this GCSE resource by thornn on TES (shared by @eggarsmaths on Twitter) which you lot mightiness honor useful for concluding infinitesimal examination tips over the coming weeks.