5 Maths Gems #49

Hello together with welcome to my 49th gems post. This is where I part v maths teaching ideas together with furnish an update on some of the things that accept been happening inwards Great Britain maths education.

1. Revision Mats
Grant Barker (@AccessMaths) has created some first-class revision mats. Like all of Grant's resources, these are real good designed.

For to a greater extent than GCSE revision resources, encounter my post service Higher GCSE Revision.

2. MathsBot
I've sung the praises of Jonathan Hall's (@StudyMaths) website formtimeideas.com many times before. If you're a cast tutor together with you lot don't know almost this website hence you're missing out! I've used it for tutor groups from Year vii through to Year 12. In add-on to formtimeideas.com, Jonathan runs some first-class maths websites - my favourite is Flash Maths.

It's worth checking out Jonathan's recent updates to MathsBot.com. This includes numerous helpful tools including a Starter Generator which allows you lot to choose topics together with difficulty level:
3. Key Marks
Thanks to Billy Adamson (@Billyads_47) for creating a 'Key marks earned inwards GCSEs' resource. These slides characteristic unproblematic strategies together with facts that Billy's students involve to acquire for their GCSE exams. Weekly testing over the side yesteryear side few months (for illustration alongside mini-whiteboards) volition hold out a skillful means to attention students memorise these primal points.
4. Truncation
Truncation is a novel GCSE topic. My colleague Rachel (@miss_middletonr) has a actually overnice means of helping students retrieve how to truncate numbers.

When I country I'm 35 years old, I haven't rounded my historic stream to the nearest integer. I've truncated my age. So when I country I'm 35, you lot know my historic stream is betwixt 35 together with 36:

35  age < 36

This is an incredibly straightforward together with accessible means to instruct fault intervals. Thank you lot for the consider Rachel!

5. Launch - Underground Maths
If you've been next the progress of CMEP then you lot in all likelihood already know that their fantastic H5N1 bird resources are going to hold out hosted on the novel website undergroundmathematics.org which launches on Monday. Follow @UndergroundMath for updates. I honey their 'teddy bear' action for the equation of a circle.


Recommended Reading
I recommend that you lot read these recent articles together with publications if you lot haven't already:
  • Edexcel's novel Maths GCSE Assessment Guide. I flora it interesting to read that formulae volition hold out given inwards the enquiry rather than on a formula sheet. Also, although it's non novel information, the judgement "Previously, 25% of questions were targeted at A/A*, merely directly 50% of questions inwards each newspaper are targeted at the equivalent grades, 7–9" reminded me of the meaning stride upwards inwards difficulty of the novel GCSEs.
  • Information almost the Common Errors Made yesteryear Maths Teachers and You Say Zero, I Say Nought.

Two weeks until #mathsconf6!

I'll function out you lot alongside this lovely tweet from @CDawson18: