Off On A Tangent

At a recent Year xi Parents' Evening, I was guilty of hypocrisy. I reassured parents that their daughters would last really good prepared for their maths GCSE because we'd last doing one-half a term of revision lessons. Most parents nodded happily, but i dad challenged me. He asked why I didn't bring the chance to instruct his fille some calculus. Good point! I've written many times almost the importance of imparting mathematical noesis without focussing on exams (a 'no teaching to the test' philosophy), in addition to at that topographic point I was promising an extended catamenia of revision instead of mathematical enrichment.

I don't desire to instruct my students to travel past times exams. I desire to instruct them mathematics, in addition to I desire passing exams to last a welcome by-product of that. But what if some of my students neglect to come across their potential inwards their GCSE exams this summertime every bit a lawsuit of my determination to bring down revision time? It's a dilemma.
Bitesize enrichment
The solar daytime afterward Parents' Evening I'd planned a measure lesson on algebraic proof alongside my Year 11s (by 'standard' I hateful explanation, examples in addition to practice). At the root of the lesson, past times agency of introducing the topic of proof, I mentioned that many mathematicians pass their lives working on proofs. As I said it I was reminded of the BBC Horizon episode blog post almost teaching a lesson on Fermat.
It was alone 10 minutes of spontaneity inwards a lesson, but hence really worth it. My students went abode from schoolhouse having learnt something novel almost the world, in addition to that's what teaching is all about.

The success of this unplanned tangent gave me the confidence to root diverting from my lesson plans all over the place. In a Year 10 lesson on percentages I got carried away explaining how banks brand coin from involvement charge per unit of measurement spread. I know a lot almost finance from my previous career hence I felt confident talking almost this. But I acknowledge that my noesis of 'non-curricular' mathematics is limited. I possess got a pile of mathematical books that I'm desperate to read but never acquire time. Reading around your acre of report gives you lot the noesis in addition to confidence to acquire off on these interesting tangents. I must read more! If you're on Twitter in addition to hence do acquire involved in @MathsBookClub for encouragement in addition to inspiration.

How good read are you? Book recommendations from matheminutes.blogspot.co.uk.
Barriers to spontaneity
I don't deny that schemes of piece of occupation are necessary. For i thing, they ensure essential coverage of all the topics required for populace exams. In addition, synchronisation of teaching allows simultaneous assessment of whole twelvemonth groups, in addition to gives ambit for departmental collaboration. Schemes of piece of occupation are too a machinery for implementing a maths department's teaching strategy or philosophy. So they are 'a good thing' even though they may underpin a frustrating lack of freedom.

I was of late teaching 3D trigonometry to a top laid Year ix (very smart girls - many volition bring their GCSE inwards Year 10). I was going through the lawsuit below from CIMT. When nosotros got to business office (d) nosotros drew out the triangle inwards interrogation in addition to established that it was non-right angled. They haven't done the Sine in addition to Cosine Rules even hence so I said we'd skip it. I told them that they'd comprehend non-right angled triangles side past times side twelvemonth in addition to they accepted that without question. 

It's a fleck distressing isn't it? I was disappointed past times their lack of intellectual curiosity, but to a greater extent than disappointed alongside myself for telling them they'd possess got to facial expression a twelvemonth to complete solving the problem. Why didn't I but launch into teaching the Sine in addition to Cosine Rules? Firstly, because of fourth dimension pressure level - the class would possess got fallen behind their peers if we'd spent an extra calendar week or 2 on trigonometry, putting them at a disadvantage inwards their side past times side Year ix assessment (this would possess got upset them). Secondly, inconsistency of topic coverage would do problems for side past times side year's teachers. Thirdly, I hadn't idea inwards advance almost how I'd instruct non-right angled trigonometry. It takes a really confident in addition to experienced instructor to deliver a skillful lesson off the cuff. I demand at to the lowest degree 10 minutes thinking fourth dimension earlier I teach! So I left it at 'we'll do it side past times side year'. Most unsatisfactory.
To some extent, schemes of piece of occupation bound our mightiness to acquire off on interesting mathematical tangents. But it could last worse. We could last forced to piece of occupation pre-written lesson plans, slides in addition to resources. I savour designing tailor-made lessons for my students. I similar having ambit to last creative in addition to I similar beingness able to divert from my programme during a lesson if I desire to. It's prissy to possess got this autonomy. Ideally our schemes of piece of occupation are flexible plenty to adapt these worthwhile diversions. If you're designing a system of piece of occupation for side past times side year, demeanor this inwards mind. Time for tangents is most welcome.