5 Maths Gems #38

Hello in addition to welcome to my 38th gems post. This is where I portion 5 teaching ideas I've seen on Twitter. As teachers start making plans in addition to preparing resources for September, there's been a flurry of inspiring ideas on Twitter - I tin barely pop off along up!

1. Tessellation
It's quite rare that there's exciting word inwards the basis of mathematics, simply we've late seen the uncovering of a novel type of Surrounding a Point activity from Don Steward pictured below. Mathigon has a lovely tessellation department featuring overnice pictures in addition to an online tool.
I've never seen tessellation animations earlier then thank y'all to @MathsMastery for sharing these, I'll role them the adjacent fourth dimension I learn tessellation.
2. Displays
There's been lots of tweets in addition to posts almost displays this week. I similar these lovely vinyl corridor displays from @cOmplexnumber.
I also similar this increment mindset display from English linguistic communication teacher Rebecca Foster (Gems 3, simply would jibe on a smaller noticeboard. 
One of my favourite classroom display ideas is the judgement stems display from Gems 26. It's practiced to bring displays that are of existent role to students throughout the year.
It's worth reading Paul Collins' (post almost the novel displays he's set upward inwards his classroom in addition to corridors.

3. History of Maths
I don't know really much almost the history of maths in addition to that's a nifty shame. It's a priority for me to ameliorate my dependent area cognition inwards this area. I intend to start past times aid @Kris_Boulton's workshop at the adjacent maths conference.

Kris' post A History of Maths features a timeline showing people in addition to societies of telephone substitution influence inwards mathematics. It also shows telephone substitution publications in addition to ideas. The picture below is alone a really pocket-size extract - bring a facial expression through the total timeline. It's fascinating to come across the social club of things. Perhaps display this inwards your classroom in addition to say your students almost the origins of the topics they're studying.
4. Challenge Questions for Year 12
Stuart Price ‏(@sxpmaths) has collated to a greater extent than or less AS stretch in addition to challenge questions for total topics. They tin locomote accessed here. Thanks Stuart for this helpful resource.
If y'all learn H5N1 score in addition to are coming to the maths conference inwards Sheffield on 26th September, produce come upward along to my workshop almost H5N1 score resources.

5. Exit Tickets
Many maths teachers role locomote out tickets inwards every lesson. The stance is that y'all laid a unmarried inquiry or brusk laid of questions at the halt of the lesson in addition to analyse the results. Typically students would manus their locomote out ticket to y'all every bit they leave of absence the classroom. It's of import to pop off along the questions elementary – if students larn them incorrect y'all involve to know why. It's an effective agency of identifying misconceptions in addition to deciding whether students are create to motility on. 

Lesley Hall (RAG123.
Update
I've published 4 weblog posts inwards the concluding calendar week in addition to I bring to a greater extent than or less other 4 posts inwards draft - I actually involve to halt all the blogging in addition to pass to a greater extent than or less fourth dimension preparing my showtime lessons! Here's what I've been upward to since my concluding gems post:
  • I was chuffed that my weblog appeared on Vuelio's Words to Avoid page - these are definitely worth a read.
  • I was really pleased that @oldandrewuk in addition to @Just_Maths set upward an Echo Chamber specifically for United Kingdom of Great Britain in addition to Northern Ireland of Britain in addition to Northern Republic of Ireland maths didactics blogs. Follow @MathsEcho to pop off along up-to-date amongst all the latest posts.
  • I popped into schoolhouse and, borrowing a lovely stance from Danielle Bartram (@MissBsResources), set Maths Mr Men stickers from @solvemymaths on my new calculators then I tin pop off along rail of them.

Finally, 4 reminders:
  • If y'all haven't already done so, y'all tin 'like' my new Facebook page for updates.
  • #mathstlp volition furnish at 7pm on Dominicus 30th August for lesson planning advice.
  • My tangents in addition to areas is worth reading if you're teaching GCSE adjacent year.
  • Check out my hashtag #mathsgems for inspiring ideas from previous gems posts.

That's it from me. I'll leave of absence y'all amongst this overnice puzzle from the ATM (@ATMMathematics).