5 Maths Gems #40

Hello in addition to welcome to my 40th gems post. This is where I portion 5 maths didactics ideas I've seen on Twitter.

I've been didactics long plenty to know how busy September is, only over again the overwhelming workload has come upward equally a shock! New classes, novel tutor group, novel systems, novel policies... I'm certain it volition all calm downwardly presently (well, maybe adjacent July!). However, therefore far therefore proficient - my novel schoolhouse is awesome in addition to I'm enjoying getting stuck into didactics again.

1. Play With Your Math
Thanks to Craig Jeavons (@Craigos87) for sharing a website I'd non seen earlier -playwithyourmath.com. Maths problems are posted every fortnight - they tin hold upward downloaded equally posters in addition to worksheets. Here's a couplet of examples:

2. Estimating Percentages
In #mathsTLP on Sunday @jeff2869 shared a overnice estimation tool - Estimate the Percentage. It's a straightforward activity for the Interactive Whiteboard that volition hold upward useful for assessing agreement of percentages.
3. Ordering Numbers
I similar activities involving ordering numbers, in addition to I especially similar the selection of numbers inwards these 2 activities from Chris Stapel (@StapelMathClass).


4. Number Starters
Back inwards Gems 34 I mentioned www.mathematicshed.com. These are nifty warm-up tasks for practising arithmetic.
5. Marking Stickers
I've seen some lovely examples of mark stickers this week. Anthony Biggs (@MathsDirectory) made these for presentation in addition to examine tips:
Miss Bowkett (@MissBowkett) shared her xanthous mark stickers which include feedback on presentation, 'what went well' in addition to adjacent steps.
Update
I've enjoyed coming together all my novel classes over the final 2 weeks. I've already used loads of wonderful Don Steward activities - this makes me happy!
3.142 variations
This calendar week I used Find the Factors puzzles for the starting fourth dimension time. I used a Level iv puzzle inwards my starting fourth dimension lesson amongst Year 10 in addition to a Level 1 puzzle inwards my starting fourth dimension lesson amongst Year 7. These puzzles are nifty for practising times tables in addition to using logic. Students inwards both classes said they wanted to effort to a greater extent than challenging Find the Factors puzzles therefore I'll definitely locomote these again.
Another success this calendar week was my starting fourth dimension Memory King tournament - I had a Year xi educatee recite the starting fourth dimension 10 prime numbers inwards 2.45 seconds!

I've got 3 novel Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 grade classes in addition to am finding that they're all real tranquillity in addition to hardworking. When they're doing a exercise exercise you lot could remove heed a pivot drop. They never inquire for aid or piece of occupation together. At my previous school, 6th shape students were much chattier during lessons - although they were less focused, they did inquire each other for aid a lot, therefore it was a mixed blessing. Hannah (‏@LorHRL) made a helpful proposition on Twitter this calendar week - she said that playing music during lessons helps because therefore students don't receive got to interruption the quiet to speak. I took her advice in addition to played tranquillity classical music during 2 Year thirteen lessons - it worked well. The atmosphere inwards the room was calm in addition to relaxed - students continued to focus only were to a greater extent than willing to inquire for aid from me or their peers.

Recent Posts
Last calendar week I wrote a postal service near High Expectations. I discussed the importance of pitching lessons right only non dumbing downwardly the content. Do receive got a human face if you lot missed it.

My school's annual Open Evening is adjacent week. If you lot receive got 1 coming upward too, you lot mightiness abide by my postal service about Open Evening helpful - it has lots of ideas for the Maths Department.

I was going to write a postal service near literacy only I've been also busy to hand it my total attending this week. I decided to summarise 5 golden rules instead - regard below. I regard many resources that comprise spelling mistakes, grammatical errors (particularly missing inquiry marks in addition to errant apostrophes) or wrong terminology. Please don't locomote them! It's non fair on your students.
Coming Soon
I'm hosting #mathscpdchat at 7pm on Tuesday 15th September. The topic is 'What expectations are you lot communicating to your Year 10 students equally they start on the revised GCSE course?'. I promise you lot tin bring together in.

I also promise you're planning to come upward to #mathsconf5 in Sheffield on 26th September (it's non also piece of cake to register). Do come upward in addition to say hello. I'll hold upward around for pre-conference drinks on the Fri nighttime too. I'm rather upset (actually, brand that devastated!) that I'm missing the 1 workshop that I desperately wanted to become to - unfortunately it clashes amongst my workshop. I would real very much appreciate it if individual who attends Kris Bolton's session 'The Stories of Maths' writes a detailed postal service near literally everything he says. Or - fifty-fifty improve - could you lot cinema his workshop on your tablet? I'd hold upward hugely grateful.

I'll larn out you lot amongst these give-and-take points from my school's starting fourth dimension maths faculty coming together of the yr (sorry, I don't know the master source). What activity would you lot receive got inwards each case? Answers on a postcard please!