Pret Homework

At #TMEpsom today - which was hosted past times my lovely novel school, Glyn - I did a curt presentation close Pret Homeworks. This postal service tells the storey of Pret Homeworks - where they came from, how they work, why they're neat as well as what's coming next.

Background
Last summertime Kathryn Forster, Head of Maths at the TES 'Creative School of the Year' 2015 Seaham School of Technology, tweeted some pictures of a novel homework template she'd devised. It was lucky I spotted this tweet inwards my busy Twitter feed because it turned out to move the start of something big.
The homework pictured below is 1 of Kathryn's master copy designs. The Skill Practice element is what most touchstone maths homeworks involve, as well as remains essential, but nosotros also convey an additional iv elements:
  • The Literacy chemical constituent requires students to larn the spellings as well as definitions of fundamental words. 
  • The Memory chemical constituent requires students to memorise facts or formulae. 
  • The Research chemical constituent is a curt independent enquiry task. 
  • The Stretch chemical constituent provides some to a greater extent than challenging questions.
So the blueprint covers knowledge, skills as well as enrichment all inwards 1 place.

Kathryn's homeworks are used inwards conjunction alongside peer-assessed Homework Checks inwards class, similar the Literacy as well as Memory Check pictured below.
When I get-go saw Kathryn's persuasion I absolutely loved it so I featured her homeworks inwards my weblog postal service 5 Maths Gems #3 back inwards August 2014. Kathryn as well as I so made a few to a greater extent than homeworks, as well as I created a page on my weblog containing links to our pocket-sized collection. 

I decided nosotros needed a bespeak this homework format. here. If Pret Homework were a draw organisation so Kathryn would move Head of R&D, I'd move Head of Marketing, as well as the contributors would move our brilliantly creative workforce. My sincere cheers goes to every 1 of them.
Variations 
Although all the homeworks on prethomework.weebly.com are for maths, this homework format industrial plant good inwards other subjects. I've seen adaptations for both Science as well as English. I also intend the homework format would run good inwards primary school. Our collection currently ranges from Key Stage 2 to H5N1 flat including Further Maths.

The blueprint industrial plant good for classwork too. Danielle Bartram has made a release of worksheets which were inspired past times the Pret Homework format.
Perimeter worksheet from missbsresources.com
Feedback 
I of late asked on Twitter for feedback from teachers who purpose Pret Homeworks. I received loads of enthusiastic replies. Some schools are straightaway using these every bit touchstone homeworks across the maths department, inwards other schools 1 or 2 teachers are using them every straightaway as well as then. Either way, the feedback is excellent. Teachers study that the lineament of run submitted is oftentimes high as well as that students taste completing Pret Homeworks.

Thanks to all the teachers who shared examples of students' work. It's amazing to meet Pret Homeworks inwards action! 

Pret Homeworks also featured every bit Craig Barton's Resource of the Week inwards Nov 2014.

What's side past times side for Prets?
The collection of Pret Homeworks continues to grow. Eventually I may demand to upgrade the website to acquire inwards easier to search past times topic as well as Key Stage.

During the side past times side schoolhouse yr I promise to meet to a greater extent than Pret Homeworks for Key Stage 1 as well as 2, as well as for other secondary subjects.

I'm excited past times the run beingness done at Burford School where they are making Pret Homeworks to check into their novel GCSE Schemes of Work. Their homeworks are real cleverly differentiated - these volition move uploaded to prethomework.weebly.com soon.

There's withal lots of buzz only about Pret Homeworks. Have you lot tried them yet? Do allow me know what you lot think.

Huge cheers to Kathryn Forster for the persuasion - she's been an inspiration to many.

My curt presentation from #TMEpsom is available here.