5 Maths Gems #31

Hello as well as welcome to my 31st gems post. This is where I percentage roughly of the best instruction ideas I've seen on Twitter.

1. Ratio tables
The novel GCSE is going to accept an increased focus on proportional reasoning. I enjoyed @MissNorledge's post virtually using ratio tables for non-calculator conversions. It's a logical agency to construction thinking.
Miss Norledge helpfully provides a 'Master the Basics' worksheet on ratio tables. She has too written fantabulous posts virtually using ratio tables for percentage calculations as well as proportional reasoning.

This approach tin hold upward used for whatsoever sort of conversion. I despair when I overhear my Year 12s desperately trying to retrieve the 'formula' for converting betwixt radians as well as degrees. "Do I multiply yesteryear 180 therefore split yesteryear pi...? Or is it the other agency round?". It's far easier to memorise π radians = 180o therefore brand proportional adjustments. Simple.
2. Trigonometric Graph Transformations
Jon Orr (@MrOrr_geek) has written a serial of Trigonometric Function Transformation Challenges inwards Desmos. These await peachy for instruction trig graph transformation - inwards each challenge, students accept to operate out the equation of the transformed business office - an instance is shown below.
3. Diagnostic Assessment
I actually similar the await of Alexander Cameron's (@AlexandeCameron) diagnostic assessments. Here's an example:
For to a greater extent than data virtually Alexander's assessments come across his TeachMeet presentation.

4. Number Properties
I too similar this fantabulous activity shared by @DJUdall.

5. Lowest Common Multiple Hot Dogs
I've never take in to role this video from Father of the Bride inwards a lesson on Lowest Common Multiple.



Thank you lot to @MrPontinMaths for sharing this as well as an associated worksheet - 'The Hot Dog Buns Dilemma'.

Update
If you lot haven't seen my Pret homework website therefore arrive at accept a look. Lots of teachers tell me that they role Pret homeworks real successfully. I dear seeing examples of students' operate - these impressive examples of Pret homeworks were shared by @missradders
Did you lot come across the Venn Diagram Subject Knowledge Check I produced ? This is designed for teachers who haven't taught Venn Diagrams earlier therefore they tin create for the novel GCSE. I computer program to brand these for every novel GCSE topic.

Speaking of GCSE, presumably you lot saw the Ofqual announcement this calendar week virtually the difficulty of the novel maths GCSE. Expect to a greater extent than Sample Assessment Materials yesteryear the halt of June. If you lot missed the announcement, there's a brusk video summary below (what's alongside the weird modify inwards photographic television set camera angle?!). This extract from the Ofqual study is actually interesting - it ranks the GCSE questions inwards fellowship of difficulty.



If you lot missed this post from mathwithbaddrawings.com virtually U.K. vs USA mathematical terminology therefore arrive at accept a read, it's real entertaining. I'm pleased to tell I've never called an index an indice!

Finally, if you lot haven't seen the updated speaker listing for the upcoming National Mathematics Teacher Conference therefore arrive at accept a look. Less than i calendar month to learn straightaway - promise to come across you lot there.

I'll move out you lot alongside this mathematical limerick, shared yesteryear @MrBenWard.