Back To School

In ii weeks I'll provide to schoolhouse from motherhood leave. I've done this before, precisely non mid-way through a schoolhouse year. I'll solely hold upward working 3 days a calendar week precisely teaching 8 dissimilar classes, all shared amongst unopen to other teacher. It's going to hold upward a challenge.

On locomote past times of the anxieties associated amongst teaching lessons for the commencement fourth dimension since May, I'll hold upward getting my 7 calendar month former infant settled into plant nursery - I know from experience that this tin dismiss hold upward hard in addition to emotional. Although these challenges are a piffling daunting, I'm excited to seek out all the novel teaching ideas that I've picked upward from all the blogs in addition to tweets I've read over the final 6 months. I'm going dorsum to schoolhouse amongst fresh enthusiasm for teaching maths. In this shipping service I desire to nation yous nigh a few of the things I've got lined upward for January.

1. Exercise Books
I despair when I come across teachers spending their hard-earned meagre salaries on supplies for work, precisely I'm guilty of it too. I've stocked upward on pretty stationery, folders, board pens, post-it notes... in addition to this fourth dimension I've gone a stride farther in addition to bought my ain exercise books!

As an experiment, I'm going to seek out these maths books 2.0 from Design Thinking. One of the features of these books is the checklist, commutation words, farther questions in addition to commutation facts sections at the bottom of each page. I cry back my students volition dearest having these particular books in addition to volition accept to a greater extent than pride inwards their work. I also cry back I'll expression forwards to marker these books (at first!), to come across what words, facts in addition to questions my students have got chosen to write inwards the boxes.
Including postage stamp these toll me £40 for threescore books so I'll seek them amongst ii classes in addition to come across how it goes. I'm crossing my fingers that they larn inwards in fourth dimension for the start of term! (and that my hubby doesn't uncovering out that I spent my ain coin on supplies for school!).

2. Expectations
I'm planning to laid out my presentation expectations amongst all my students at Key Stage 3 in addition to 4 using a poster: 'gems 14 for details.
3. Hashtag Marking
I featured my ideas for hashtag marker inwards gems 12. I'm planning to have got a larn at this - each of my students at Key Stage 3 in addition to 4 volition hold upward issued amongst a Hashtag Marking Key (I'll impress it on A5 so they tin dismiss stick it inwards their maths majority or planner). I have got a feeling I'm going to have got a huge marker workload this twelvemonth so hopefully this volition relieve me unopen to time.
Extract from Hashtag Marking Key
4. Work Review Log
Based on an thought inwards this tweet, I programme to innovate a feedback log at Key Stage 5. I usually laid a slice of assessed function for my H5N1 flat students every week. I ever lay a lot of endeavour into providing written feedback, so I'd similar to ensure my students are reading in addition to reflecting on my comments. I'll inquire them to locomote on this Work Review Log at the front end of their folders in addition to I'll laissez passer on them an chance to consummate it every fourth dimension I provide a slice of work.
Extract from Work Review Log
The other thing I desire to do meliorate this twelvemonth is ensuring that my H5N1 flat students are doing homework on their own. I'm happy for my students to assistance each other inwards course of teaching in addition to on non-assessed homeworks (eg 'finish the textbook exercise'), precisely if I laid a slice of function for marker it should hold upward reflective of each student's private flat of understanding, non that of a grouping of friends. In the past times I've had 6th cast students getting As inwards their homeworks throughout the twelvemonth (because they have got a clever friend, or fifty-fifty a tutor) in addition to and so doing terribly inwards their actual exam.

5. Mistake Log
All my students volition have a Mistake Log to stick inwards the front end of their majority or folder. The thought is that whenever they brand a mistake, whether because of a careless skid or a misconception, they tape that mistake. Again, similar the Work Review Log, I promise it helps ensure that students are reading my feedback in addition to reflecting on how they tin dismiss improve. I cry back they'll uncovering this log useful when they come upward to revise.

6. #ByYourSide
I actually cry back every instructor should ensure their dependent area cognition is upward to scratch equally a affair of priority. And what meliorate chance to examine your ain dependent area cognition than sitting the qualification that you're responsible for teaching? I promise to sit down the Maths GCSE exams amongst my students this summer. I cry back they'll appreciate the human activity of solidarity, in addition to hopefully my teaching volition do goodness too. Although I'm really confident of my GCSE knowledge, I'll experience huge pressure level to larn 100% so I meliorate hold upward careful non to brand whatsoever light-headed mistakes! I also cry back to sit down H5N1 flat maths this summer. This is a much scarier prospect. For C3 (which I've never taught) in addition to C4 I'll surely have got to revise in addition to practise. I'm convinced this volition brand me a meliorate H5N1 flat teacher. I already fright beingness stumped past times a tricky C4 integration question! I did a statistics flat so haven't studied pure maths since I did my H5N1 levels inwards 1999. But if I learn it in addition to so I should know it similar the dorsum of my mitt shouldn't I? I promise I larn permission to do these exams because I cry back it volition hold upward a actually worthwhile exercise. Anyone amongst me? :)

7. Apps
I'm thinking nigh taking my iPad into school, if I tin dismiss prise it away from my toddler. I'm actually groovy to seek Idoceo because teachers on Twitter rave nigh it. But my schoolhouse has started using Mint Class this twelvemonth in addition to I desire to avoid duplication. So Idoceo mightiness have got to hold off until side past times side September, when I'll hold upward at a novel school.

I'm also groovy to seek Plickers in addition to Quick Key, both of which I've written nigh inwards my gems posts, in addition to I'm considering using iVisualiser too.

8. Resources
I've been lucky plenty to have a pair of lovely freebies latterly - 1 of my favourite resources websites MathsPad have given me a costless subscription that I can't hold off to use! I'm also interested in Create a Test. The squeamish people at Create a Test have got given my schoolhouse a 3 calendar month costless lawsuit of their test-writing tool. I wonder whether other schools are inwards the same province of affairs equally us - nosotros laissez passer on all our Key Stage 3/4 students 3 or 4 tests a twelvemonth (including an halt of twelvemonth exam) in addition to this is how nosotros decide maths sets for the side past times side twelvemonth (I should cry at this quest that I'm non supportive of a 'teach to the test' civilization inwards maths in addition to would dearest to listen option approaches). Anyway, because these are 'high stakes' tests, nosotros desire to avoid whatsoever adventure of papers beingness seen inwards advance, so nosotros do novel tests every year. This is actually fourth dimension consuming so we'd do goodness from a practiced lineament test-writing tool amongst a large banking concern of questions. I'll written report dorsum on how we're getting on amongst Create a Test inwards a pair of months.

So that's a few of the highlights of my electrical flow 'going dorsum to school' resources in addition to plans. Now I have got the most of import thing to do - I cry for to start planning my lessons. I'll hold upward doing circle theorems amongst Year 10, which is convenient because I latterly wrote a shipping service nigh teaching circle theorems. Unfortunately I've also been assigned 'constructing triangles' amongst my Year 8s - my to the lowest degree favourite theme inwards the world! Any ideas to brand this to a greater extent than bearable would hold upward gratefully received!