A Score Resources

At #mathsconf5 I delivered a workshop entitled 'Resources for Teaching Maths at AS Level'. I thought it mightiness live on helpful to portion highlights from that presentation here. I'm going to separate my ideas into 2 separate posts - inward today's postal service I'll listing recommended sources of Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 degree resources. In my side yesteryear side postal service I'll utter over some ideas on how to construction Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 degree lessons, how to purpose resources as well as how to organise as well as portion resources.

Here's the slides as well as handout from my conference session.

My Top 10
In my workshop I talked through my favourite sources of Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 degree resources. I narrowed it downwards to ten, but at that topographic point were many to a greater extent than I wanted to include.

1. Solomon Worksheets
I tend to purpose extracts from Solomon worksheets for starters, plenaries or extension work. For example, if I've taught quadratic inequalities as well as then the interrogation below makes a prissy starter interrogation inward the side yesteryear side lesson:
Solomon worksheets come upwardly amongst real clear worked solutions thus you lot could also give these worksheets to students for independent exercise at home. It's non helpful when teachers tell their students to do ongoing independent written report but don't supply (or betoken them inward the direction of) suitable exercise questions.

You in all likelihood direct maintain these worksheets on your network at school, if non as well as then they tin give the sack live on purchased here.

2. Activities from Susan Wall
Susan Wall is considered the queen of rich tasks at Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 Level. Some of her resources are on Integral, which I'll utter well-nigh inward a infinitesimal - but some other expert means to detect her textile is to search for 'Susan Wall' inward the National STEM Centre eLibrary.

Have a become at the interrogation below. It may alone accept you lot a minute, but it's an fantabulous interrogation for students who detect this notation tricky (plus anything that involves graph sketching is worthwhile).

I also dear Susan Wall's integration activity below. Again, this is corking for getting students to intend rather than but follow procedures.

3. Integral
Every schoolhouse should direct maintain a subscription to integralmaths.org. Provided yesteryear the MEI as well as FMSP, it's an extensive collection of notes, activities, worksheets as well as assessments for every Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 degree module as well as examination board. The indices maze below is but ane instance of MEI/FMSP textile - there's a huge diversity of resources on Integral thus it's worth spending a 24-hour interval inward the holidays exploring.

This guide provides detailed data well-nigh the content of Integral. Another instance of an Integral activity is shown below. I dear this activity!
4. TES - SRWhitehouse
There's loads of Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 degree resources on TES - my favourite contributor is Susan Whitehouse. I purpose her resources inward almost every lesson. I detect her materials especially useful when instruction C3 as well as C4 - you'll detect lots of links to these inward my A2 resources library.

Her indices activity (extract below) is excellent. I await that most people purpose this when instruction indices at Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 degree or GCSE, but it also makes a helpful starter inward a lesson on differentiating expressions amongst negative as well as fractions indices. Question vi as well as vii below frequently stimulate confusion for students - they desire to write both equally 2x-3.
The logs activity shown below is some other instance of a Susan Whitehouse activity that I purpose regularly.
5. Teachit Maths
Teachit Maths is a corking website for Key Stage three as well as GCSE. PDF resources are available for free. Their collection of Key Stage five resources is growing. I don't frequently purpose card-based activities but I do similar their log dominoes. I've used them earlier as well as they worked well.
I similar this Pairs of Lines activity besides - it would function inward both a Higher GCSE lesson as well as inward an AS coordinate geometry lesson.
6. Mathematics Assessment Project
The materials of the Shell Centre) remind me of the Standards Unit materials (more on that inward a minute). They supply well-designed tasks for formative as well as summative assessment. Although these materials are designed for the U.S.A. curriculum, there's enough of fantabulous resources for Key Stage 3, four as well as 5. There's 2 lessons that I especially like: Sorting Equations of Circles 1 as well as Sorting Equations of Circles 2. I frequently purpose the 'Going circular inward circles' poster describe of piece of occupation (solution shown below). I purpose this when I've but taught students the equation of a circle - instead of giving them a textbook exercise, I give them this grid on A3 paper. Working inward pairs, they direct maintain to identify diverse equations of circles on the grid.
The 2nd circles lesson is also total of fantabulous tasks - an extract is shown below.
7. CMEP
We're real lucky that the Cambridge Mathematics Enhancement Project - an initiatory to prepare Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 degree resources - is currently producing loads of fantastic novel material. If you lot desire to access these resources field they're yet nether evolution as well as then you'll demand to register amongst CMEP (although some materials are currently available through NRICH). It won't live on long though until the total collection of CMEP resources are made available to all. Some of their materials are enrichment problems for high attainers, but there's also fluency exercises as well as scaffolded tasks. For instance I similar this 'Logarithm lattice':
as well as this 'Integral chasing' activity:
8. Don Steward
I can't utter well-nigh resources without recommending my hero Don Steward. His weblog (Median) contains rich tasks for xi - xvi yr olds, but many of his higher goal GCSE resources are suitable for Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 degree too. Topics include algebra, quadratics, trigonometry, sequences, surds, indices, cubics, graph transformations as well as coordinate geometry. An instance is his activity 'geometric series, some amongst surds' which was designed for the novel GCSE but is suitable for C2 (Edexcel).
I've already blogged well-nigh his 'one wrong simplification' tasks which worked brilliantly on Year 12 induction day.
And here's some other typical Don Steward describe of piece of occupation - this ane is on cubics:
9. The Standards Unit
We all know as well as dear the "Improving Learning inward Mathematics" (or Standards Units) resourcesThere's a expert pick for Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 degree that are good worth exploring. In the yesteryear I've ever gone right away for the resources at the back, but lately I've discovered that the lesson ideas as well as questioning prompts are also incredibly helpful.  Here's an instance from Matching Functions as well as Derivatives:
10. as well as #mathsTLP
The libraries at resourceaholic.com incorporate hundreds of links to hand-picked Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 degree resources. My AS Core library is ever the get-go identify I depository fiscal establishment jibe when planning a C1 or C2 lesson. Resources are grouped yesteryear topic. The extract below is from a 'Fun Sheet' (I can't detect a re-create of the master mass it came from) - it's a lovely activity for simplifying uncomplicated trigonometric expressions earlier coming together trigonometric identities.
On my weblog you'll also detect lots of Introducing Differentiation, Algebraic Division, Radians, Logs as well as Factorising Harder Quadratics. I frequently characteristic Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 degree ideas inward my Gems posts besides - here's ane from John Smith.
Finally, #mathsTLP is every Dominicus eve 7pm - 8pm. This is a Twitter chat inward which lesson ideas as well as resources are shared. Join inward to inquire for assist or offering ideas. This is the kind of affair you lot mightiness tweet:
More sources
I used to intend that at that topographic point weren't many Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 degree resources around, but it turns out there's enough out there. Every schoolhouse needs a difficult working Key Stage five Coordinator to come upwardly into schoolhouse during the holidays as well as pass a 24-hour interval or 2 downloading as well as organising resources! I'll state to a greater extent than well-nigh this inward my side yesteryear side post.

There were lots of websites that I didn't advert inward the listing higher upwardly that should definitely live on on your radar. If I'd had longer than l minutes for my workshop, I'd direct maintain included the websites listed below (and many more!):
  • MathedUp! - lots of fantabulous Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 degree links including activities, PowerPoints as well as videos.
  • next post volition characteristic to a greater extent than ideas for instruction Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 degree maths.