What Went Good - Foundation Gcse

I know I said that my side past times side ship service would move nearly Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 aeroplane teaching, but circumstances at operate this calendar week receive got changed my blogging plans. I'm a really reflective person, ever thinking nearly what went good in addition to what I could receive got done better, in addition to the fourth dimension has come upward - prematurely - to reverberate on my start endeavor at pedagogy Foundation GCSE inwards Year 11. I hadn't expected to write this ship service until side past times side June, but we're iv weeks into the novel schoolhouse twelvemonth in addition to I've precisely been reallocated to some other Year xi class.

Background
In June I started working at a boys' comprehensive schoolhouse which I similar really much. It was a large modify for me because I'd exclusively ever worked at a girls' grammer school. I'd never taught a pupil alongside a target GCSE degree lower than an A. When I got my timetable inwards July I constitute out I'd move pedagogy a cast of depression attaining Year 11s this year. I was looking frontwards to the challenge in addition to determined to create a expert chore in addition to thus I turned to Twitter for advice. I was inundated alongside amazing ideas in addition to wrote a post Words of Wisdom: Teaching Foundation GCSE which has been read past times around 4,000 people. Many teachers taking on Foundation GCSE classes for the start fourth dimension receive got told me that this ship service was helpful, in addition to thus writing it was worth the effort.
Building Relationships
On 4th September I met my novel cast of viii students. In this detail group, dissimilar many other groups of depression attainers, behavior wasn't an issue. The original challenges for me were a) how to explicate the maths  b) how to acquire them to retain the maths  c) how to acquire them to focus on the maths.

Building relationships was key. I was struck past times the advice Bodil gave me: "Your sales pitch is that it's 'us against the examination ... nosotros tin vanquish this'". This is partly what inspired me to brand the expectations video below. I showed this video inwards the start lesson of the twelvemonth in addition to it seemed to brand an impact. I emphasised the importance of maths GCSE in addition to reassured them that I'd create everything I could to assist them range it. They were fairly positive in addition to peachy to acquire started (and specially excited at the prospect of tea in addition to biscuits on Fridays - thank yous to Katie in addition to Kim for that idea). It was a expert start.


Practicalities
I was told to purpose folders instead of exercise books in addition to was given document wallets similar this:
I decided this wasn't a expert agency to organise a whole twelvemonth of learning. Instead I bought some yell upward binders in addition to file dividers (much to my husband's disapproval because it came out of my ain money!). In the start lesson I had the boys write on the file divider tabs - classwork, homework, science checks, memory, examination papers. This helped them to empathize what to await from maths this twelvemonth in addition to made it clear how to organise their work. I hoped that this neat in addition to structured approach would encourage them to receive got to a greater extent than pride inwards their operate than keeping release papers inwards a document wallet.

I decided that I'd assay to prepare a report pack for each lesson. The packs were written to follow the construction of the lesson - some sections were for taking notes, others were for independent practice. If you'd similar to run across an example, here's the report pack from my start lesson of the year. The thought was that the classwork department of their folder would move total of good organised in addition to structured notes in addition to practice.

Topics in addition to Activities
I constitute it difficult to pick out which topics to teach. My students' basic maths skills were lacking in addition to thus it seemed incorrect to create anything other than practise basic skills, but I felt that I'd lose them if I kept doing arithmetic. In iv weeks nosotros covered reading scales, rounding, Venn Diagrams, units, autobus in addition to develop timetables, symmetry, ii agency tables, estimator skills in addition to coordinates... I was trying to figure out what worked in addition to what they knew, but my lessons all felt really random in addition to disjointed in addition to thus this is definitely something I'd cry upward nearly to a greater extent than carefully side past times side time. I should receive got chosen 1 or ii fundamental areas to focus on.

One specially successful lesson was on decimal improver in addition to subtraction - nosotros used ii interactive tasks from MathsPad - vi out of viii boys inwards the cast were happy to come upward up to the interactive whiteboard in addition to receive got a plough at these, which was lovely.
When nosotros did Venn Diagrams, I told them all nearly John Venn. In my lesson on primes I told them nearly perfect numbers. When nosotros did timetables nosotros looked at planning a journeying online. When nosotros did measurements, nosotros talked nearly beginning words similar cent (How many cents inwards a dollar? How many centimetres inwards a metre?). These aspects of my lessons felt specially of import - precisely because these students create create alongside maths, there's no demand to deprive them of wider knowledge.
One affair that specially surprised in addition to worried me was how difficult my students constitute it to calculate times. For example, I told them that I left the position at 4.35pm in addition to arrived at my finish at 6.15pm - they actually struggled to figure out how long my journeying had been.

Qualification Suitability
I had intended to purpose the excellent Corbettmaths 5-a-day but constitute that the Foundation 5-a-days were likewise difficult for this grouping - the Numeracy 5-a-days were to a greater extent than suitable, but at that spot was however a lot on them that these boys couldn't do. I constitute the same alongside other Foundation GCSE resources, such equally the first-class weekly tests from MathsBox. I started to wonder if Foundation GCSE was likewise difficult for these students - what's the betoken inwards sitting an examination if you've exclusively learnt a modest fraction of the content? I gave them a Foundation GCSE newspaper to assay in addition to they could barely acquire beyond the start question. Perhaps choice qualifications would move to a greater extent than suitable for these students - but would depriving them of the chance to acquire a GCSE restrain their hereafter life opportunities? My schoolhouse does Linked Pair in addition to I sure enough don't cry upward these boys should sit down iv maths GCSE papers at the halt of Year xi similar the residue of their twelvemonth group. This is definitely something to review. I asked each man child if he had thought nearly what he'd create side past times side twelvemonth - iv boys hadn't thought nearly it in addition to assumed they'd provide to the schoolhouse to create Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 levels, the other iv had clearer ideas (they spoke nearly going to college to create courses such equally plumbing in addition to catering).
Serenity
In other lessons these boys were oftentimes given detentions for disruptive behaviour, but inwards my lessons they were all calm. It felt similar a really condom environment. I seat this downwards to ii things: 1. the cast was really modest in addition to all the boys were lovely 2. my mode was calm in addition to relaxed throughout lessons (this is non typical of me at all - I'm commonly a whirlwind of stress. It took a lot of careful effort). One of the Learning Support Assistants commented on the calm working environment, which was overnice to hear.

Highlights in addition to EBIs
There were a few fantastic moments inwards my lessons alongside this cast - a highlight was when 1 man child recited the start 10 prime numbers inwards nether 3 seconds! I volition create many things differently side past times side fourth dimension though, including planning sequences of topics to a greater extent than carefully in addition to doing to a greater extent than enquiry into how to explicate basic concepts.

I was precisely starting to position what worked good alongside this class, in addition to thus it's a shame to lose them (I volition miss them), in addition to it's also a shame that the cast volition no longer be (there volition move thirteen boys inwards the novel 'bottom set'). It was all a worthwhile sense though, in addition to I volition receive got on the side past times side challenge (a cast of around xxx boys targeting by in addition to large Bs) alongside high expectations.

Another asking for help!
The Year xi instructor allocations at my schoolhouse receive got been changed for diverse reasons, partly because the leadership squad took some other aspect at the halt of Year 10 examination results in addition to decided to add together an extra maths cast for this twelvemonth group. It's a shame these decisions weren't made inwards July, because changes to classes 1 calendar month into a novel schoolhouse twelvemonth are probable to move detrimental to both students in addition to teachers. My colleagues are all really adaptable in addition to difficult working though, in addition to thus we'll brand it work. I promise that analysing the progress in addition to attainment inwards maths for this twelvemonth grouping has raised a whole host of give-and-take points for the leadership team, including questions relating to the Linked Pair qualification, the timetabling for maths, in addition to schoolwide behavior for learning.

The schoolhouse has at 1 time introduced a number of maths interventions for this twelvemonth grouping in addition to this is where I demand help... They desire to run later schoolhouse in addition to Sabbatum sessions for Year 11, in addition to the query is - what should these sessions involve? I 1 time helped out alongside Sabbatum intervention at some other schoolhouse inwards which students were only given GCSE papers to create for 3 hours. It felt similar a terrible purpose of fourth dimension that would receive got been ameliorate spent teaching. I know that many of my readers are really experienced inwards running Year xi intervention in addition to I'd similar to know what structures operate well. Please tweet me or comment below. Thanks inwards advance!