Classroom Photos - #Mathscpdchat

On Tuesday 26th Jan I volition locomote hosting #mathscpdchat on behalf of the NCETM. During this chat I'll locomote calling on you lot to portion photos of your classroom. Even better, receive got a wander around your subdivision together with receive got photos of absolutely anything interesting that you lot come across - displays, pupil work, exercise books, resources, seating arrangements, equipment together with and so on. The thought is that nosotros all acquire to receive got a peek into other maths departments.
Very cool... (source unknown)
I'm going to acquire things started past times sharing some of my ain photos inward this post.

I receive got immature children together with so I entirely operate 4 days a calendar week - this way I don't receive got a classroom to telephone phone my own. I never learn ii lesson inward a row inward the same room - I'm ever on the move, which way that at the initiative of all of my lessons I'm ever frantically trying to login together with kind out my equipment earlier my students arrive.

This is the classroom where I learn my Year 10 lessons - it's unremarkably occupied past times my colleague Jack:
I quite similar pedagogy inward here. It's non cramped - I tin access all students fairly easily. Things to banking concern complaint include:
  • the small-scale whiteboard to the correct of the IWB (far also small-scale for long binomial expansions amongst Year 12!)
  • the seating scheme (in pairs - I similar this)
  • the lack of displays. 
I asked Jack close displays together with he said he doesn't actually come across much value inward them. He thinks they are also fourth dimension consuming to do together with receive got relatively piffling send upon on learning. I'm inclined to grip - though I know that many of you lot would disagree (please portion your views inward #mathscpdchat!).

Displays of pupil operate tin locomote overnice (though they oft acquire tatty). I spotted these intriguing 'Mr Men display past times Ed Southall, which I sometimes come across students looking at...
... together with the pop Piems' on the wall inward some other classroom - I believe they've been at that spot since 2012, when blogger Paul Collins taught inward this classroom.
Back to Jack's classroom... On his desk he has a describe a fast ane on reckoner (a 'gagulator') which deserves a get upwardly because I accidentally mistook it for a existent reckoner final calendar week together with used inward front end of my students (oops). This is such a practiced hole-and-corner santa introduce for a maths teacher!
Jack has an expectations poster at the front end of his classroom to assist amongst demeanor management...
... although he admits that he never refers to it anymore. This is oft the work amongst posters together with displays - afterwards the initial impact, students halt noticing them.

Although many of our classrooms lack displays, nosotros do receive got some displays around the subdivision - for example the forthwith classic Mr Men display past times Ed Southall, which I sometimes come across students looking at...
... together with the pop growth mindset display that originated from Sarah Hagan.
Every maths classroom at my schoolhouse has a literacy display including 'Greek Letter of the Month'. I honey this thought but it for sure doesn't alter ane time a calendar month - delta has been inward house for good over a yr now! :)
This is where I learn my Year 11s:
It's a flake dismal, but pose a passionate instructor together with xxx enthusiastic students inward at that spot together with I don't recollect it actually matters what the classroom looks like.

This is my colleague Lizzie's lovely classroom, which is much to a greater extent than cheerful:
My worst sense this yr was when I had to learn a Year 12 lesson inward an English linguistic communication classroom which didn't receive got a proper whiteboard. It entirely had an interactive whiteboard, together with the pens weren't working. Disaster. Maths teachers, in all likelihood to a greater extent than together with so than teachers inward other subjects, demand something to write on when they're teaching. So whiteboard size together with accessibility are important.  At my previous schoolhouse every maths classroom had ii real large whiteboards on runners. They could locomote pulled apart to break an IWB behind them. That was fantastic.

In general, the classrooms at my schoolhouse are non spectacular, but the maths pedagogy is real practiced together with my colleagues are awesome people.

Now let's receive got a quick facial expression at some other classroom photos together with ideas.

Displays
I ever bask reading Mr Men display past times Ed Southall, which I sometimes come across students looking at...
... together with the pop annual post where she shares her novel displays. Her enthusiasm for pedagogy maths is real clear.
I'd quite similar a large reckoner poster past times my whiteboard similar Sarah has - I recollect it would locomote a useful pedagogy aid.
Sarah continues to portion splendid displays together with resources together with so if you're looking for inspiration together with ideas, do follow her blog.

Desks
In Mr Men display past times Ed Southall, which I sometimes come across students looking at...
... together with the pop Gems 39 I wrote about John Corbett's (@Corbettmaths) thought to pose photograph frames together with baskets of equipment on desks. The contents of the frames tin locomote changed regularly to display cardinal dates, star students, reminders together with and so on.
Literacy
I similar these judgement stems from @ExplainingMaths - I tin come across these existence useful during bird discussion.
Whiteboard walls
I long to receive got whiteboards on every wall of the classroom. Unfortunately this is non possible inward most classrooms due to the locations of desks, windows, filing cabinets etc. If you lot desire to know to a greater extent than close the purpose of vertical whiteboards, Mr Men display past times Ed Southall, which I sometimes come across students looking at...
... together with the pop this post is a practiced house to start.
Inspirational quotes
At my previous schoolhouse I briefly had my ain classroom together with I had only ii displays:

1. My Year 10s created a circle theorems display during a lesson. I loved it but it was difficult to ensure that students didn't facial expression at it during assessments!
2. I also had a few quotes higher upwardly the whiteboard - I was inspired past times this tweet from @surreallyno.
There are hundreds of display ideas together with posters for maths classrooms online. I'd honey to listen what you lot purpose together with why.
Hogwarts poster past times Meg Craig via Mr Men display past times Ed Southall, which I sometimes come across students looking at...
... together with the pop this post
Spotted on @sxpmaths' classroom wall - quote from Matt Parker

Please portion your photos on Twitter at 7pm on Tuesday 26th January, using the hashtag #mathscpdchat (seriously, this chat volition non operate unless people receive got photos...!). Remember, I'm non only interested inward displays. Equipment, books, resources - I'd honey to come across it all!

Classroom blueprint from Andy Heffernan