5 Maths Gems #43

Hello too welcome to my 43rd gems post. This is where I portion roughly of the best ideas I've seen on Twitter.

1. Vocabulary
Maria Howard (@MrsHsNumeracy) has created a novel resources to assess too prepare students' literacy. Maria's Mathematical Literacy Assessment for Year 7 is i of the best vocabulary resources I've seen. Two extracts are shown below only yous must expression through the whole assessment to appreciate how adept this is.
Reflecting on the importance of developing literacy inwards maths lessons, Maria says, "I realised I needed to assess their degree of agreement of Mathematical vocabulary, that means I would know what words I needed to learn them too embed them inwards their everyday Mathematical conversations inwards class". 

I expression forwards to seeing the literacy resources that Maria plans to practise for Year nine too Key Stage 4. I intend these volition last incredibly useful.

Do cheque out the residue of Maria's website too - it's a goldmine of resources for numeracy across the curriculum.

2. Addition
I liked Cristina Milos' (@surreallyno) recent tweet showing an expanded shape of addition. This explanation volition aid students empathise why nosotros 'carry ones' when nosotros practise long addition.

3. New Resources
I'm thence pleased that Don Steward has started creating novel resources again, including the lovely common dechocolateater.
The clever people at MathsPad dice on to gain wonderful novel resources also - here's i of their latest activities (subscription is solely £3 per month).
4. Returning Tests
If yous haven't withal discovered #maths TLP then you're missing out. Every Dominicus black hundreds of maths teachers accept purpose inwards our weekly 'Twitter Lesson Planning' hour, sharing ideas too resources for lessons inwards the calendar week ahead. Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 few weeks agone Mark Horley (@mhorley) asked this question:
I expression that many of us experience that the lessons inwards which nosotros render assessments could last better. I don't expression forwards to these lessons at all.

Mark was inundated alongside first-class ideas thence he wrote a weblog post almost it which yous tin read Animations too Simulations.

Update
I uploaded roughly fantastic novel this post which explains all. Last calendar week I created a novel page of Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 degree Mechanics Resources. I also had a post published on the novel weblog Starter for Five which provides advice to novel teachers.

I've been a flake repose on the blogging too tweeting front end this calendar week because it was my eldest daughter's fourth birthday on Wednesday, plus run continues to last really busy.
Happy birthday mini-Morgan
Timetabling Maths
I'm actually interested inwards timetabling too curriculum design. In my sentiment my schoolhouse doesn't receive got plenty maths on the timetable. I'm oftentimes rushing through topics. My GCSE students receive got meaning gaps inwards their conceptual noesis too I intend the master copy effort of this is that they haven't had plenty fourth dimension to master copy topics at Key Stage 3. But I practise wonder how other schools check it all inwards - if yous increment the issue of maths lessons, what gets dropped from the timetable? I'd appreciate it if you'd email me to permit me know how it industrial plant at your school. If yous receive got loads of maths lessons, what subjects are absent from the curriculum?

I lately did 2 24 hr Twitter polls to honor out how much fourth dimension is spent educational activity maths inwards Years 10 too 7. Here are the results:
The Mathematical Association did a Sixty Second Survey which had a similar issue of respondents only provides to a greater extent than detail:
Without the context (eg type of school) both sets of results are of express value, only they practise render roughly starting points.

It appears that many schools receive got increased the issue of lessons at Key Stage four inwards reply to the modify inwards GCSE specification. Although my sample size is small, I believe that schools alongside solely iii hours a calendar week of maths lessons at Key Stage 3 too four are behind the national average.

Do permit me know your thoughts too experiences.

#chrismaths15
I'm really excited almost my upcoming trial too am pleased to denote that Colin Hegarty volition directly last speaking too. I'll issue a amount programme soon. For data too tickets, come across christmaths.weebly.com.