5 Maths Gems #35

Hi there. Welcome to my 35th gems post. This is where I part v educational activity ideas I've seen on Twitter. The summertime holidays are at nowadays inwards total swing thus Twitter has been serenity this week. I expression it volition acquire busier inwards August - results days volition laissez passer on us lots to utter about, as well as thus we'll all start making preparations for September. I'm off on a delineate of piece of work solid unit of measurement vacation adjacent calendar week (including an exciting twenty-four sixty minutes current out at Peppa Pig World!) thus soul volition conduct maintain to create total me inwards on what I miss! I tweeted my 10,000th tweet yesterday. I alone joined Twitter terminal May thus I retrieve that officially makes me a chatterbox.

1. Angle Chase 
I featured angle chases in Gems 24, Gems 26 and Gems 32 . I find this type of action actually enjoyable. @MathedUp shared a whole charge of angle chases here. I dear these - they're a smashing resources both for classwork as well as for revision.
@mathninja3 suggested putting a permanent angle chase on the classroom wall. This reminded me of the display by @ExplainingMaths pictured below. I retrieve it would hold upwards smashing to lay a large angle chase up, perchance yesteryear sticking record on a large whiteboard or a wall painted amongst whiteboard paint. If anyone has done this inwards their classroom, I'd dear to come across a photo.

2. Presentation Standards
I've written earlier virtually setting expectations for the presentation of classwork as well as homework. The start of a novel schoolhouse yr is the fourth dimension to create upwards one's hear how to approach this. latest post about Analysing Errors is no exception. From September I excogitation to start setting regular low-stakes tests. For my Year 10s, I'm thinking of a curt weekly quiz (perhaps multiple choice, marked amongst Quick Key). As suggested yesteryear Sarah, I excogitation to flat these quizzes A, B or Not Yet, amongst anyone scoring a Not Yet having to accept some other test. In Sarah's postal service she suggests that earlier retaking a quiz, students are required to analyse their showtime attempt. She's going to laissez passer on them an fault analysis canvass that does these things:
  • Require students to function out each employment correctly
  • Ask students to position what they did incorrect when they showtime attempted the problem
  • Direct students to reverberate on how they volition avoid making this same fault inwards the future
  • Get students thinking virtually what types of errors they are making
Sarah has produced a fantastic poster to push clit dissimilar types of errors. Read her post for to a greater extent than virtually this as well as to download the poster.
Types of Errors by @mathequalslove
5. The Famous Five
I dear this post from @mccreaemma. It's virtually an approach called 'The Famous 5' that Emma uses in every lesson. When students acquire into the room they are forthwith presented amongst a task. The names of v students that begin/finish/engage good amongst the employment are written on the whiteboard. Their vantage is to move out the classroom showtime at the goal of the lesson. Emma says that her students dear it (I retrieve this would function actually good for my students too) as well as it reduces wasted fourth dimension at the start of lessons. Her postal service is good worth a read.

Update
I'm continuing to function on resourceaholic.com behind the scenes when I acquire a chance. I've added some resources to my libraries as well as made updates to my New GCSE Support page. If you've got some fourth dimension over summertime to brand resources, here's a listing of topics that nosotros demand to a greater extent than resources for:
Huge thank y'all to post virtually the additional sequences content on the novel GCSE. It features examples of testify questions as well as resources. I was pleased to larn a novel method for finding the nth term of a quadratic sequence.

I'm enjoying spending lots of fourth dimension amongst my daughters this summer. It's all going also speedily for my liking though! It's August already, which agency I'm dorsum to schoolhouse 1 calendar month today. #mathsconf5 is adjacent calendar month too. Have y'all got your ticket yet?

Finally, I dear this homework for the summertime holidays that's been going circular Twitter. What a lovely idea.
Holiday homework yesteryear Tom Christy