5 Maths Gems #24

Hello as well as welcome to my 24th gems post - this is where I part five education ideas I've seen on Twitter. I'm going to endure curt as well as sugariness today... I'm meant to endure marking!

1. Angles inwards Parallel Lines
I'm ever on the await out for expert questions that I tin purpose inwards bird as well as hence I was pleased when Cliff Pickover (@pickover) tweeted the work below. This volition do nicely for my Year 7s when they come upward to revise angles. I don't recall they've seen the 'hatch mark' used for equal angles earlier (only equal sides) as well as hence it's a expert do inwards interpreting tone too. Answers are on page half dozen of this document. By the way, if you're non already next Cliff, I highly recommend his tweets.
2. Algebra Countdown
I was browsing @stephenbodman's lovely resources on his website secondarymaths.wikispaces.com when I spotted Algebra Countdown. This is an activity based on the TV programme Countdown, but instead of numbers students are given algebraic terms. Set upward the Countdown Clock as well as run the activity inwards Excel on your Interactive Whiteboard. It's a actually prissy activity for practising simplifying algebraic expressions.
3. Isometric Fractions
I was looking at the cool pads of sticky-backed graph newspaper on www.instagraphs.com (only available inwards USA as well as Canada) as well as spotted an interesting approach to education fraction improver as well as equivalency using isometric grids (see pic below). The grid simply helps students to depict as well as combine equal sized parts, but anything that helps students empathize the concept of a mutual denominator is worth considering.

4. Circle Theorems Badges
Cameron Fehr (@MrFehr_SVC) shared this pic of the circle theorem badges he uses to vantage his students.
Cameron made these himself using a badge maker. His students tin earn them past times (for example) correctly reciting the quadratic formula. Cameron really helpfully shared his files here (where there's lots to a greater extent than award-related things to explore).
5. Artistic Mathematics
@MrMathsTeacher shared fantastic pictures of Piet Mondrian-inspired graphs of horizontal as well as vertical lines. I dear this idea.

6. Imperial Measures
Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 bonus jewel this week, particularly for my American readers. We don't purpose cups as well as quarts inwards the Great Britain but if nosotros did, I'd detect a purpose for this fantastic diagram. It helps us visualise the relative sizes of each unit of measurement as well as response questions similar 'how many teaspoons are inwards a gallon?'.
Reading!
I desire to recommend 3 posts this week... Craig Barton (@tesMaths) updated his 'Links to the Best Maths Websites inwards the World' - it's good worth a read, every bit is his extensive listing of maths resources - Essential Freebies.

Lucy Crehan (@lucy_crehan) shared this lovely post from the 'I am Malala' website. It features pictures of classrooms all over the globe - I actually enjoyed reading it.

That's it for this week. Thanks for reading. I'm utterly exhausted! My babe is 8 months quondam straight off - volition she ever sleep? Roll on half-term! :)