A Degree Resources #2

This is my minute post virtually my previous post I shared some of my favourite H5N1 grade resources. In this post I'm roofing the other fundamental points from my workshop:
1. The demand for resources.
2. Using problems sets.
3. Getting organised (including schemes of work).
I also hash out how to part additional resources amongst students, which I didn't direct keep fourth dimension to comprehend at the conference.

I precisely desire to clarify something earlier I start - resources are helpful, but inwards my heed at that topographic point is null to a greater extent than of import than clarity of explanation. Good H5N1 grade teachers direct keep audio champaign of written report noesis as well as know how to explicate things well. Please don't intend that my focus on resources at the conference suggests that I intend that resources accept precedence! They don't. They're prissy to direct keep though.

Is the textbook enough? 
I started my workshop past times discussing the demand for H5N1 grade resources. I oftentimes live on H5N1 grade textbook exercises for exercise inwards class, but create I demand anything else?

To respond that inquiry let's hold back at my typical lesson structure. I don't create anything revolutionary inwards my H5N1 grade pedagogy - no flipped learning, no enquiry - my mode is fairly traditional. I'm non proverb this is the best agency to learn H5N1 level, it's precisely the agency I teach.
In the construction higher upward yous tin come across that I usually start amongst a skills depository fiscal establishment gibe as well as refresher (sometimes an examination inquiry relating to what nosotros did inwards the final lesson, sometimes a curt puzzle or activity), thence I demand resources at this point. I'll thence learn something novel as well as my students volition practise that novel science (again, I'll demand resources hither - a textbook, worksheet or activity). Formative assessment of skills during this action volition assist me create upward one's heed which students demand to a greater extent than explanation. Imagine the shape splitting into ii groups at this indicate - those who've demonstrated agreement as well as are developing fluency, as well as those who demand to a greater extent than back upward (I powerfulness demand some differentiated activities here). After the lesson I demand to create some summative assessment, thence I powerfulness laid a homework which I volition accept inwards as well as mark, or I powerfulness assess students inwards a examine on a subsequently appointment - again, I demand resources for these assessment activities. Finally, I tell my students to create ongoing independent exercise as well as I demand to indicate them inwards the administration of resources for this. So yous tin come across that at that topographic point are many opportunities to live on a diversity of resources throughout the lesson. The textbook does non comprehend all these bases. Thankfully there's loads of vivid H5N1 grade resources available - read my previous post for ideas.

In my workshop I shared 3 activities from MEI as well as asked delegates to hash out whether they'd live on these, as well as how they could live on them. For illustration I oftentimes live on the get-go action below (Logs True or False past times Susan Wall) equally a quick refresher (ie a starter), but it also plant good for formative assessment (perhaps amongst mini-whiteboards) and/or basic skills practice.


The coordinate geometry resource higher upward plant good inwards a consolidation lesson - students depict their working diagram inwards the middle of A3 newspaper as well as stick each occupation (and their answers) around the border inwards the club they completed the tasks. The thought is to acquire them thinking virtually the data they demand to respond each question.

Problem sets
Time is a huge occupation inwards H5N1 grade teaching. At my previous schoolhouse nosotros had 8 lessons a fortnight (split 5/3 betwixt ii teachers) inwards both Year 12 as well as Year 13. This merely was non plenty fourth dimension to learn 3 modules. I was ever rushing through topics as well as oftentimes stressed virtually running out of time. At my novel schoolhouse nosotros acquire to a greater extent than fourth dimension (10 lessons a fortnight inwards Year 12 as well as nine lessons a fortnight inwards Year 13) - this is much better, though I nonetheless experience some fourth dimension pressure. I'd honey to pass fourth dimension on occupation solving but 'getting through the examination specification' takes priority. For the strange occasion when I create acquire the chance to create some occupation solving amongst my students, I've collated a publish of problems sets (suitable for GCSE as well as AS level):
I got the problems from diverse sources (information listed inwards the PowerPoints). I usually impress the PDFs on A3 newspaper as well as acquire students to piece of work amongst a partner to solve the problems inwards whatsoever order.
Getting organised
When I was Key Stage five Coordinator I went into schoolhouse during the summertime holidays as well as spent a solar daytime downloading as well as organising hundreds of H5N1 grade resources. This saves everyone a lot of fourth dimension as well as endeavor during term time. I organised these resources past times topic on the schoolhouse network as well as added them to my school's H5N1 grade Schemes of Work. I've moved schools straight off but took all the files amongst me (attendees at my conference session were given my extensive C1/C2 resources files equally a give thank yous you for coming!).
Extract from C2 Scheme of Work

Some schools don't live on schemes of piece of work for H5N1 level. It's non a necessity similar it is at Key Stage 3 as well as GCSE. I was lucky that nosotros had fantabulous schemes of piece of work at my previous schoolhouse which contained lots of links to resources - these were gear upward as well as regularly updated past times my colleagues.

At the terminate of my workshop a delegate asked if I'd part these schemes of piece of work as well as I promised I would, thence here's C1 - C4 for yous to borrow as well as edit. None of the hyperlinks volition piece of work inwards these documents because they were linked to the schoolhouse network, non the internet, but at to the lowest degree it's a starting indicate for the structure.

Incidentally, if I were starting a resources collection from scratch thence I'd see using Pinterest or Pealrtrees to concord my collection because I honey the 'snapshot' format.

Sharing resources amongst students
Consider setting upward a weblog or Twitter occupation organisation human relationship for your students - accept students to an information technology Room as well as acquire them to follow the occupation organisation human relationship or register for e-mail updates to ensure yous acquire an audience. Publish essential data (eg assessment dates, homework deadlines) as well as hand access to resources, tips, enrichment as well as thence on. In the twelvemonth that I was Key Stage five Coordinator, I wrote a Sixth Form Maths Blog - it has been abandoned straight off I've left the school, which is a shame because I was actually proud of it. It was a groovy agency to encourage independent learning as well as to hand students opportunities to improve. Below is an illustration post thence yous tin come across how I shared resources amongst students. If yous desire to come across an illustration Twitter occupation organisation human relationship for students, hold back at @MathsNewVic.

So that's it! I hope these ii posts direct keep helped yous inwards creating or enhancing your collection of H5N1 grade resources. If yous attended my workshop I hope yous institute it useful. Please comment below to part anything adept that I've missed - I'd honey to come across your favourite resources as well as listen virtually what yous do.