New Gcse: Pythagoras Questions

This calendar week my subdivision took a detailed await at GCSE sample questions for topics that are coming upwards on our Year 10 Scheme of Work. This was the virtually useful matter we've e'er done inwards a subdivision meeting! We used Mel's (@Just_Maths) first-class Questions past times Topic resources.

I worked through the Higher Pythagoras questions. Have you lot looked at these inwards detail? It's good worth doing. The questions are excellent. They volition locomote challenging for fifty-fifty our highest attainers. I normally piece of employment a squeamish develop Pythagoras problems when I instruct Pythagoras at GCSE but I intend I'm going to create got to upwards my game.

Let's create got a await at unopen to of the novel GCSE questions.

Here's a 3 grade enquiry from OCR. Have a go. I intend my students would detect this pretty challenging. They require to know Pythagoras in addition to how to piece of employment alongside surds 'backwards' (I don't create plenty of this when I instruct surds...).

Here's unopen to other enquiry - this is a iv mark from AQA. It's a peachy question... Again, a unlike grade of challenge to what we're used to at GCSE level.
This enquiry is from Edexcel - hither nosotros create got bounds in addition to Pythagoras:

And this enquiry is from OCR. It's non quite every bit challenging every bit the others though at that spot are a lot of steps.

Finally, here's unopen to other enquiry from AQA. I specially similar this one.

All of these examples demo that novel GCSE questions volition ofttimes combine ii or to a greater extent than topics. Rightly so. Previous GCSE questions ofttimes treated topics inwards isolation.

When you're planning your Year 10 Pythagoras lessons I recommend that you lot endeavour the residue of the sample questions. Even the 3D Pythagoras enquiry has a spin on it. There's unopen to actually peachy problems here. These questions also remind us of the notable pace upwards inwards challenge grade that we're dealing with. I'm trying non to panic! We create got our piece of employment cutting out.