5 Maths Gems #47

Hello too welcome to my 47th gems post. This is where I portion 5 maths teaching ideas I've seen on Twitter.

1. Don's Multiple Choice
I oftentimes write close Don Steward's resources - it's worth checking his weblog every directly too and hence to run into what he's added. This calendar week I was browsing his 'practice too quiz questions' weblog (which is divide to his primary blog) when I noticed that he has started to hit first-class sets of multiple selection questions - here's an example:
 He has also produced unopen to lovely 'odd i out' activities:
Both types of activeness would operate amongst technologies such every bit Plickers or Quick Key. Multiple selection questions are making a fleck of a comeback at the 2d - for to a greater extent than sources, run into my transportation 'Multiple Choice Questions'.

2. Inequality Question
I actually similar this inquiry from Steve Blades (@m4thsdotcom). Ask your students for the minimum too maximum value of abc to banking concern represent their understanding of inequalities too integers.
I'll purpose this amongst my Year 11s - many of them struggled amongst the inquiry below inward their mock GCSE, which suggests a lack of key understanding of inequality symbols. 
3. Math Wall of Shame
Thanks to Megan Schmidt (Starters too Progress Tests for the novel GCSE. 

Update
My post Five things you lot mightiness non know close the novel GCSE content #1 was good received. I promised a 2d transportation amongst 5 to a greater extent than facts close the novel GCSE... I'm working on it exactly I mean value I've flora unopen to discrepancies betwixt examination boards that I'm investigating. Watch this space!

There's been 2 announcements since my final gems transportation that you lot mightiness live on interested in. The outset is that the appointment too venue has been laid for researchED Maths too Science. It's on Sabbatum 11th June inward Oxford. I mean value this volition live on a fantastic event. I bring to attend a marriage ceremony reception inward Kent that evening so I'll bring to larn out early, exactly volition definitely live on at that spot inward the morning. Tickets are probable to sell out quickly.

The 2d statement was regarding novel tests for times tables. We all concur that fluency inward times tables is vital (as is conceptual understanding of multiplication) exactly at that spot is disagreement over whether to a greater extent than Key Stage 2 tests are desirable.
It's also worth noting unopen to other alter regarding testing (see above) - from 2017 Year seven maths teachers volition bring 3 months to 'fix' students who did non 'pass' Key Stage 2...

It's been a hectic outset calendar week dorsum at schoolhouse exactly thankfully this weekend I didn't bring whatsoever marker to hit hence I had the chance to catch the first-class Escher exhibition at Dulwich Picture Gallery. It finishes on 17th Jan hence if you lot desire to become too hence larn tickets now! The gallery store is total of mathsy gifts too.
I'll larn out you lot amongst a prissy demonstration of Pythagoras' Theorem from mathwarehouse.com.