5 Maths Gems #44

Hello together with welcome to my 44th gems post. This is where I percentage maths didactics ideas I've seen on Twitter.

1. Problems past times Topic
I've frequently featured links to occupation solving resources inwards my posts but these are rarely organised past times topic. This agency nosotros own got to trawl through mixed packs of problems to abide by something suitable for our lessons. Bravo to Leanne Shaw (@LeanneShawAHS) for creating a really helpful novel website of occupation solving activities grouped past times topic. This growing collection includes both total lessons together with shorter tasks. The film below shows the resources listed nether 3D Shapes hence y'all larn an thought how this website works. It's good worth exploring.
2. Concept Maps
Thanks to Greg Coleman (Concept Maps which are designed to aid students develop their agreement of mathematical vocabulary. Have a read of Greg's postal service for to a greater extent than on this, including templates.
Concept maps past times Greg Coleman

3. Exam Skills
Thanks to @thefeelosopher for sharing the interesting resources pictured below. This is used to analyse the skills that contribute to students' success inwards maths GCSE exams. I've non seen anything similar this earlier together with thought my readers powerfulness live interested every bit it raises but about give-and-take points.

I wonder whether a similar analysis powerfulness live helpful inwards Year vii - for lawsuit at the terminate of the showtime term students could live given feedback against criteria such as:
  • Do they know their times tables? 
  • Is their handwriting legible? 
  • Do they inquire for aid when stuck? 
  • Do they brand expert notes inwards class? 
  • Do they create sufficient exercise inwards class? 

This would aid teachers together with parents position potential barriers to progress. Do allow me know if your schoolhouse does something similar this.

4. Puzzles 
I beloved the fantabulous puzzles that Emma Bell (@El_Timbre) has been sharing. Check out her blog to encounter the collection.
5. Lost Questions
Back inwards Gems 18 I featured a lovely thought for didactics factorisation - this was taken from Chris Smith's (@aap03102) newsletter. He puts something similar this on the board:
When the degree arrives he demands to know who rubbed the questions off the board. When no-one confesses he asks his students to figure out what the questions were.

Last calendar week Michael Allan (@mrallanmaths) tried this action together with constitute it worked good - he shared a film of his board on Twitter. 

This prompted Keith Morrison (@MrKMorrison) to elbow grease the same thought for sectionalisation together with multiplication.

During #mathsTLP on Dominicus at that spot was a discussion nigh other topics that this powerfulness operate for. There were but about actually expert ideas - I peculiarly similar the proposition that this could live used when introducing integration inwards C1.

Update
I wrote a review of but about resources for novel GCSE topics - if y'all learn Year 10 together with y'all missed it together with then create own got a look.

I too updated my mathsy gifts page inwards fourth dimension for Christmas.

I attended the Debating Education lawsuit at Michaela on Saturday. It was an interesting 24-hour interval together with all the debates were thought-provoking. The Andrew Old vs Bruno Reddy ground on mixed powerfulness was peculiarly relevant to maths together with is something I create cry back to weblog nigh at but about point.

Tickets for the CPD chemical ingredient of my Christmaths Party own got sold out. You all the same own got a few days left to buy tickets for the eve political party - bring together us for a fun nighttime of mathsy merriment.
School
School is going well, though really busy - I'm incredibly lucky to own got 2 Inset days coming up, the 2nd of which is a 'Christmas shopping' 24-hour interval off (to brand upwards for an extra Inset that was added at the start of term). It's perfect timing for a break.

I'm actually enjoying didactics Year 10 - nosotros had a expert become at all the novel sequences GCSE content. I ended the topic amongst these 2 puzzles from @jase_wanner which worked really well. In the showtime action students own got to fill upwards inwards the gaps together with inwards the 2nd action students are looking for the strange 1 out.
Year eleven is my big challenge because they're doing Linked Pair GCSE which has a lot to a greater extent than content than normal GCSE. This content (Flow Charts, AER, Linear Programming etc) is novel to me. I solely encounter my Year eleven degree iii times a calendar week which doesn't give me plenty fourth dimension to learn all the content inwards sufficient depth. I actually am feeling the fourth dimension pressure level together with own got never taught topics hence speedily before. Tight fourth dimension constraints don't allow for effective didactics hence I'm really pleased that my schoolhouse is looking to increase the resources allotment of maths on the timetable side past times side year. As a resultant I cry back we'll in all probability live looking to recruit novel maths teachers hence if y'all fancy coming to operate amongst me (based inwards Epsom, Surrey) together with then create larn inwards touch.

And finally...
Prompted past times but about recommendations I read on Twitter, I'm really much enjoying playing the fantabulous Sumaze puzzle app on my weep upwards at the moment. I'm too actually looking forrard to going to Just for Graphs this weekend, together with am really grateful to my married adult man for offering to come upwards amongst me.

I passed one-half a meg views of my weblog lastly calendar week - cheers really much for reading!

I'll exit y'all amongst this lovely visualisation of prime number factorisation which was shared on @edfromo's vivid Google Plus.