5 Maths Gems #61

Welcome to my 61st update from the globe of Maths EduTwitter. Here I summarise or thus of the latest ideas together with resources for education maths.

I promise everyone is enjoying their summertime break. I've been busy having lots of fun amongst my lovely daughters. We're going to remain on a farm close Hastings side yesteryear side calendar week - looks similar I mightiness fifty-fifty larn proficient weather! I'm starting to experience a chip nervous (and excited!) nearly Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 degree together with GCSE results - non long to hold off now...

1. Magic
Thanks to Susan Russo (@Dsrussosusan) for sharing this Crystal Ball activity from @Yummymath. It's keen fun! This mightiness non function on a mobile - produce endeavor it on a estimator if you lot can. Everyone likes a chip of mathematical sorcery... together with the interesting chip is trying to figure out how it works.

2. Planet Nutshell
I spotted or thus proficient maths clips at Planet Nutshell. For illustration you lot could present this curt proportional relationships video every bit purpose of a GCSE lesson (proportional graphs are featured on the novel GCSE specification).



It's worth checking out the total make of videos. Short video clips tin sometimes complement a lesson nicely.

3. Puzzles 
Through the Sacks' which I'd non seen before.

Do cheque out Don's latest develop of number puzzles too.

I've also been enjoying the problems shared yesteryear Five Triangles (@Five_Triangles) recently. These ii problems would function good at Key Stage iii or 4:

a. Find x
b. The trapezium has pinnacle 22cm. The ratio of areas of triangles ⓐ to ⓑ is 4:5. Find surface area of shaded triangle.
4. Infinite Fractions
If you lot convey fourteen minutes spare for mathematical enrichment this summer, I recommend this video:



I actually enjoyed this.

5. Planner 
I know this won't appeal to everyone, precisely if you're a fan of pretty stationery than you lot mightiness desire to design your ain planner...  I've done it for the starting fourth dimension time this year. The website is real slow to utilisation together with it's amazing how much you lot tin customise - size, cover, binding, contents (which tin include seating plans, score sheets, direct logs etc...). If you lot desire ane for September I recommend ordering soon. I've been sent a code for 10% off (YDJ5PLX) which mortal mightiness produce goodness from. I honey my novel planner!

Update
In instance you lot missed them, hither are my recent posts:

I also created a novel page of classroom display ideas from diverse sources.

I was pleased that my weblog was ranked 2nd inwards Vuelio's Top 10 United Kingdom of Great Britain together with Northern Ireland Education Blogs 2016.

Today I went to Bletchley Park amongst a lovely grouping of maths teachers from Twitter. We had a fantastic 24-hour interval together with were treated to a especial demonstration of an Enigma motorcar from @TeaKayB. If you lot haven't been to Bletchley Park earlier together with thus I actually recommend a visit.
La Salle convey forthwith confirmed the appointment of their side yesteryear side Pie together with Maths event. It's on Tuesday 23rd August together with you lot tin mass Gems 37 for my write-up of concluding summer's event. I'm hoping to larn along for the drinks this year.

#mathsconf6, #mathsconf5, #mathsconf4, #mathsconf2015 together with Gems 8.

Finally, I'll live on out you lot amongst this joke - I spotted it inwards a dorsum number of Chris Smith's weekly maths newsletter.