Questions Close Do Books - #Mathscpdchat

To me, exercise books are a way to an halt - they are but a identify for students to jot downward workings inwards guild to solve problems. It is the act of practising that's important, non the written tape of that practice. I'd happily bring my students produce all their operate on scraps of newspaper that they throw away at the halt of the lesson.

"Oh but what most their notes? They'll involve those for revision". I specifically say my students to revise for exams past times doing do questions (past examine papers, workbooks etc). I say them to spotter a video or inquire me for assistance amongst anything they buy the farm stuck on. I never say them to 'read their exercise book' for revision. So what value is in that place inwards spending fourth dimension as well as endeavour focusing on the arrangement as well as presentation of classwork, if that classwork volition never travel referred to again?

I'm deliberately playing devil's advocate here, but I produce think this is worth discussing. How of import are exercise books inwards the didactics of mathematics?

Please bring together #mathscpdchat at 7pm on Tuesday 15th March to portion your opinions.

I'm certain many of yous volition bring a take in on the importance of good presented exercise books. I hold off that people volition utter most students taking pride inwards their operate as well as the advantages of a disciplined approach to setting out workings.

I'm certain people volition also bring views on when as well as where to make feedback. I alone make feedback on homeworks as well as assessments - my homeworks are ever on worksheets, pregnant I never write straight inwards my students' exercise books. In fact I rarely facial expression at them. Does it matter? Some #mathscpdchat participants may bring views on the flat of independence nosotros should make students - how much should nosotros monitor their classwork books? Do yous monitor the classwork of 6th shape students?

The pictures below exhibit a good presented exercise mass as well as a poorly presented exercise book. These are from ii really unlike types of pupil - I wonder what yous tin sack infer most each student.


If nosotros attention most presentation, how tin sack nosotros develop our students to introduce their operate well? At the showtime of each schoolhouse yr I prepare out my mass presentation expectations amongst each class. What produce yous do?

How produce yous bargain amongst worksheets? I purpose a lot of worksheets (mostly Don Steward) as well as I'm terrible at remembering to say my students to stick their sheets in. Their books are bursting amongst loose sheets. Perhaps band binders would travel better.

On Twitter I've seen a make of ideas for exercise books including collapsible give away lines, treasury tags as well as raffle tickets. Do yous produce anything that's 'a chip different'? Please share!

There are many interesting give-and-take points here. Please bring together #mathscpdchat at 7pm on Tuesday 15th March to portion your opinions. I'd dear it if yous could portion pictures of your students' exercise books too!