#Mathsconf6

After every maths conference I could weblog for hours nearly all the materials I learnt, only I'll sweat to conk on it brusque today.

On Fri morning time I got the develop upwards to Peterborough for the starting fourth dimension coming together of AQA's novel Maths Expert Panel. It was neat grouping of people in addition to a actually constructive day. I await frontward to the adjacent meeting. Afterwards I had a lovely dinner at the hotel alongside Julia, Danielle in addition to Nikki. We in addition to then headed to the pub for the pre-conference drinks. It was neat to consider thence many people at that topographic point - I actually enjoyed coming together novel people in addition to catching upwards alongside all the regular conference-goers. Emma, Siobhan in addition to I got dorsum to the hotel presently after midnight.
On Sat morning time nosotros headed over to the conference after a prissy breakfast. I was much to a greater extent than chilled out than I commonly am. Because I didn't run a workshop at this conference I wasn't nervous, in addition to I wasn't lugging to a greater extent than or less my laptop in addition to handouts, thence I felt rattling relaxed.

The conference started alongside a wonderful surprise - Julia had an absolutely incredible cake made for me to celebrate my 50th gems post. I'm overwhelmed yesteryear this generosity in addition to thoughtfulness in addition to I am thence grateful to Julia, my Twitter friends in addition to my weblog readers. The attending to exceptional on the cake was amazing, including niggling icing versions of puzzles in addition to resources, a to produce listing in addition to a laptop. I was a fleck lamentable when I saw the beautiful cake cutting upwards after on only I was pleased to acquire to consume a slice - it was delicious. Thank you lot to whoever saved the laptop for me!
Speaking of cakes, equally commons all the entries inwards the cake contest were awesome. Have a await at the tweets on the hashtag #mathsconf6 for pictures.

I loved Rob Smith's fantabulous Tuck Shop - every number should convey one!
I equally good enjoyed the Tweet Up at lunch.
Well done to Miguel for winning my lowest unique positive integer contest (2 was the winning number!) in addition to good done to Megan Guinan for completing her Pringle construction!
I won't become into neat exceptional nearly the sessions I attended, only hither are a few highlights:
  • Pete Mattock delivered an fantabulous session on conceptual agreement of maths. He made me intend differently nearly meaning figures. His operate on directed numbers in addition to fractions was actually interesting. His slides are here.
  • I rattling much enjoyed Ben Stafford's session on assessment. We did a useful practice inwards which nosotros marked some seek questions in addition to compared our decisions to AQA's. We equally good looked at how seek questions are written. I especially liked the enquiry pictured below which originated from Duncan Carr, a instructor from Midlands. Ben showed us how this enquiry was turned into an seek enquiry - it's interesting to consider the precision of linguistic communication used inwards external exams.